evolutionary and computational theories of mind

mat mats_trash at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 15 18:05:37 EST 2002

what are people's views on the darwinian and computational approaches
to explaining the mind?  Evolutionary psychology is very popular these
days, with the way our minds work explained in terms of how they
provided survival advantage over the eons. Computational theories
suggest that there is a syntax or language of thought using which our
minds can extract meaning an construct ideas about the world.  Usually
these two approaches are viewed as approximately the same.  Evolution
has honed the computational 'modules' of our mind.  I just wonder what
other people's views are on this.