Synaptic Plasticity and NO (was: Re: why study neurology?)

Christian Wilms cwilms at stud.uni-frankfurt.de
Tue Jan 15 18:04:28 EST 2002

Brian <zhil at online.no> wrote:

> What about Nitrogen-oxides ?
> I've read that it might be one way to give a 'feedback' across synapses.......

Actually, that is a very probable mechanism - of course not the only
one. NO is highly diffusible and hydrophil, so it passes through cell
membranes with "little to no resistance".

There are a number of systems where NO is being attributed an
increasingly important role. I am especially aware of the implications
concerning the cerebellum, which causes a slightly biased list of
papers, which I would recommend as a good start, but here goes:

JOURNAL OF CELLULAR PHYSIOLOGY 187:277-282 (2001)
"Nitric Oxide Chemistry and Cellular Signaling"
Andrew J. Gow and Harry Ischiropoulos

PNAS; September 12, 2000; vol. 97; no. 19; 10661-10665
"Diffusion of nitric oxide can facilitate cerebellar learning: A
simulation study"
Nicolas Schweighofer and Gabriel Ferriol

Journal of Physiology (2001),535.3 ,pp .825-839
"Nitric oxide is required for the induction and heterosynaptic spread of
long-term potentiation in rat cerebellar slices"
Sonja Jacoby,Robert E.Sims and Nicholas A.Hartell

H2H, Chris