Motor control - post surgical removal of brain

yan king yin (dont spam) y.k.y at lycos.com
Wed Jan 16 08:28:48 EST 2002

"mat" <mats_trash at hotmail.com>
> [...]
> Fetal cells are by definition early embryonic cells.  To differentiate
> into functional neurones requires a cocktail of growth factors etc.
> which changes over time and which we are a long way off from
> understanding in normal neurogenesis no matter in this situation.
> Further, it is unlikely that the transplanted cells would ever grow
> into exactly the same architecture as those resected.  Given the
> likely importance of neural connectivity in producing the mind and
> personality then the potential implications of such a large
> 'transplant' are unfathomable.
> [...]

I am more optimistic than you. In a recent study, some dopamine
neurons are implanted into the putamen and there is extensive
innervation of the target. If these cells can do this then other stem
cells could also make their correct connections. This is quite
encouraging. The particular synaptic connections might have
been shaped by the subject's experience. We cant expect to
reproduce that. But if the gross connectivity is established,
some training might make them work.