Motor control - post surgical removal of brain

James Teo james at teoth.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Jan 18 21:49:31 EST 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:09:54 -0500, Kalman Rubinson <kr4 at nyu.edu>
wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:27:55 +1300, "yan king yin" <y.k.y@(dont
>spam)lycos.com> wrote:
>
>>Sorry -- I have made a mistake by extrapolating too much. I thought
>>if dopamine neurons were transplanted to the substantia nigra they
>>would project to the putamen (their normal target). But it turns out this
>>might not actually happen.
>
>I do not know of this happening.  The human procedures I heard of
>involved implanting the DA neurons in the the putamen so they need not
>have to find their way there.

I recall a paper coming out a few months ago in NEJM or was it Lancet,
on those patients with embryonic DA-producing cells implanted into
their putamen. Substantial benefit for most, but a distinct subset
seemed to have a permanent tardive dyskinesia. Nasty.... and this
caused all kinds of doubts about the technique.

Then all went quiet, and I have heard somewhere (but can't find
reference nor even know if it's true) that they have recently found
that this was actually due to poor stereotactic insertion of the cells
and some of these cells went elsewhere (caudate? subthalamic?) which
is why these patients had what they had.
Anyone know anything about that?