Motor control - post surgical removal of brain

Christopher papillae at anythingirish.ie
Sat Jan 19 07:05:51 EST 2002

> Hello,
>
> My father recently has a stroke and undergone an operation
> to remove some of the right part of his brain.
> The Surgeon inform my family that he will be paralysed
> permanently on the left part of his body, both limb.
>
> I refuse to accept this verdict and am trying to look into
> anything that could make him walk again.  If anyone have
> anything on the subject, please could you post it for me.
> Anything at all.
>
> The subject of interest can be something like:
> - post trauma theraphy
> - success stories in recovery
> - occult
> - robotic integration in muscle control
> - mind controlled computer interaction
> or anything that is related.
>
> I may be in the wrong news group, however since most of
> the reader here are literaly well informed, I hope to
> be directed to the right area if I am wrong.
>

> What ever you could help me with, I thank you.
>
> Regards
> Parmin

  There is a workshop taking place in Paris that might interest you.
It would cost you quite a bit of money though: check
fens2002.bordeaux.inserm.fr (deadline 1st of February !)

W1- Brain Computer Interfaces (BCI): mechanisms and applications

Chair: N. Birbaumer (Germany)
Saturday, July 13, 09:00-12:00
Maximum number of participants: 250

Brain-Computer-Interfaces (BCI) are using brain signals for the
manipulation of external devices, mainly computers. Monkeys learned to
move an artificial hand directly with responses from an array of
electrodes implanted in the motor cortex (Nicolelis 2000). Human
patients with complete motor paralysis were able to control their slow
cortical potentials and used that skill for selecting letters or words
from a computer program (thought-translation-device, TTD, Birbaumer
1999).
The workshop will provide an overview of all available BCIs for
animals and human subjects. The neuronal mechanisms of translating
movement intention or thoughts directly in an external signal for a
computer will be discussed. Problems of on-line-identification of
single-cell-responses and EEG-pattern and classification limiting
speed and precision will be reported as well as new clinical
applications.

Take care,
Christopher