Neurochemistry and the future of neuroscience

Jason Benjamin childish4god at pacbell.net
Mon Jan 28 16:29:48 EST 2002

Hey all.  I mostly joined this group because I plan on getting into a
career of neuroscience.  I'm interested in neurogenetics, the mapping of
the neurons (functions) in the human brain, and mammalian brain to
machine interfacing.  I'm really quite the dreamer, and I enjoy AI and
ideas having to do with Vernor Vinge's science fiction stories.

Originally I wanted to be a neurologist, but I've found that I'm more
interested in discovering how the brain works and how the nervous system
communicates in a specific fashion.  I want to be able to find ways to
interpret the chemical signals of the nervous system (neurotransmitters)
and understand the communication protocols used between the neural cells.

I'm really not too much into the pharmocology and psychology aspects of
neuroscience, however, I do enjoy learning about cognitive processes and
studies of the brain (the human brain in particular).  I like the ideas
in the Matrix having to do with being able to plug your brain directly
into a machine and I see it as being possible sometime.  The mind based
input devices (such as the Mind Mouse) have been fascinating to me, but
they are limited.  I hope someday to have mind control very much like we
have voice control today for computers.  Artficial limbs could also be
made more accurate as well (as long as implanting studies doesn't beat
neuroscience to it :))

I want to be able to contribute to fields where someday the human
cognitive and physical neurological functions could cleanly be
transferred into a machine body.  IA (intelligence augmentation) is also
of great interest to me.

Currently, I am taking a Computer Science and Biochemistry major.  I
hope to eventually get into graduate studies.  I just want to get ideas
and feedback on what specific career in neuroscience I should pursue, as
well as the best way to get there.  Thanks.