Simple question: Pronunciation of "Wernicke"?

Peter Douglas Zohrab zohrab at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jul 5 17:56:09 EST 2002

As a linguist (in both senses of that term), and as a former teacher of
German, I can say that words from one language are never pronounced in
another the language in the same way as they were in the original language,
so quit worrying !  As long as your colleagues know who you are referring
to, that's fine.  Even in German-speaking countries the name "Wernicke" is
pronounced in at least two different ways, as far as the final "e" is
concerned.

Peter Zohrab
--
Domestic Violence Bibliography http://www.csulb.edu/~mfiebert/assault.htm
New Zealand is run by Lesbians, and men are afraid they won't be real men if

"Joseph Martin III" <joseph.martin54 at verizon.net> wrote in message
news:1P5U8.26353$vr5.17737 at nwrddc01.gnilink.net...

> "Andrew Austin" <aausti13 at ford.com> wrote in message
> news:afqjvv$pjr15 at eccws12.dearborn.ford.com...
> > I`ve always said it as "Ver- NICK- Key" - can anyone reassure or correct
> > this please.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Andrew Austin.
> > --
> > __________________________________
> > Reply address: AndrewAustin at nospam23NLPeople.com
> > Remove NOSPAM to reply.
> >
> > NLP, Neurology, Schizophrenia:  http://www.23NLPeople.com
> >

> I usually say Vair-ni-cuh or Ver-ni-cuh depending on the moment.  I do
know
> some English that do say Wer-ni-cuh, but that's just the English being
> English.  :-)
>
> Any Germans in the audience tonight?
>
> Just as a side note, I've known three different pronunciations of Van
Gogh: