brain sizes: Einstein's and women's

GodEvolved nospam at spam.com
Sun Jul 14 15:42:59 EST 2002

"John Knight" <johnknight at usa.com> wrote in
news:6JkY8.59626$P%6.3948507 at news2.west.cox.net:

> "Hope Munro Smith" <hopems at mail.utexas.edu> wrote in message
> news:hopems-1307021051520001 at cs6625171-151.austin.rr.com...
>> In article <3D2F9A44.2503D0E9 at gwi.net>, "Mark D. Morin"
>> <mdmpsyd at PETERHOOD69gwi.net> wrote:

> facts of
> Sex,
> Anat.,
> no
> either
> those of
> conclusive

> women

> with

> "men
> prove

> tests
> heterogeneous
> all
> differences.)"

>> > What test?  It wasn't constructed yet.
>> >
>> > then proclaim "the sexes are equal".

>> > strange, none of the published research, available at
>> > http://www.gre.org/respredict.html support that hypothesis.

>> This very page says that "It is a very select group of Americans,
>> less than 0.1% of the US population, which takes the Graduate Record
>> Exam each year."
>> Thus we can conclude absolutely nothing from the data as it is not
>> representative of the US population, only 0.1% of it.
>
> This MAKES the case.
>
> Theoretically (and of course affirmative action threw all such theory
> out the window) this would not be just 0.1% of the population--it
> would be the *top* 0.1%.
>
> iow, this is the BEST of the BEST in women in academia, science, math,
> physics, chemistry, etc.
>
> And the BEST of the BEST of women come nowhere close to the median of
> men in MANY of these test scores.  For example, at
> http://christianparty.net/gre.htm you will see that the top 2
> percentile of female education majors score lower than the median of
> male engineering majors.  Needless to say, the gap between the top 2
> percentile of each group is even bigger than the gap in the median
> scores, which is 239 points.

Hold on a sec here.  You can't do that.  You can't compare education majors
to engineering majors and then claim that its proof positive that women
aren't as smart as men.  That's like comparing apples and oranges.

Having just looked at the data, I find it interesting that supporting pages
will either not display and are disallowed by the server.  Be that as it
may, however, you still can't compare people in different majors and draw
some sort wild, generalized conclusion.  Well, you can, but you shouldn't.

--
"...What you have to understand, young lady, is that the Greeks, not