brain sizes: Einstein's and women's

Bob LeChevalier lojbab at
Mon Jul 15 22:11:51 EST 2002

"John Knight" <johnknight at> wrote:
>"Bob LeChevalier" <lojbab at> wrote in message
>news:n53viuso190dvhbk2o6c2m5fu7gvmvranh at

>> >Let's use a simple example of how wrong you are, cary.
>> >
>> >Question K09 on the 12th Grade TIMSS Math test given to 12th graders
>> >the world in 1995 reveals an astounding difference in math skills between
>> >the sexes in all the countries who participated.  The average difference
>> >all countries was 10.5%, with 47.3% of boys and 36.8% of girls answering
>> >correctly, but the difference in the US was 22.1% (28.6% of girls and
>> >of boys).   In countries like Cyprus where 60.1% of the boys answered
>> >correctly, guesses on the test would not have influenced the scores by
>> >much, but where only 28.6% of American girls answered correctly, guesses
>> >must be taken into account.
>> But did you not say just above that "Zero percent of American 12th grade
>> girls correctly solved TIMSS math problems."  Now you are admitting that
>> 28.6% solved question K09, thereby admitting your falsehood.
>You obviously didn't understand any part of the above, so why bother to
>explain it to you?
>Oh, well, let's try, just one more time.
>It's disingenuous for you to ignore the effects of the multiple choice
>questions on this test.  On this particular question, because there are four
>choices, 25% of the answers will be correct JUST because students guessed.

That is a false statement.  You do not know that ANY of the students guessed,
and only a student who guesses randomly will be subject to your 25% logic.
It is perfectly possible for 100% of the students to get a multiple choice
problem wrong with none of them guessing.  All it takes is that they have
been taught erroneous information or incomplete information.

>So when the scores are reported and it shows that 28.6% of girls got this
>question correct, you cannot claim that 28.6% of them understood the

You cannot claim that any percentage understood the question.  None might
have understood it and just guessed.  Or 100% might have understood it, but
71.4% of them applied principles incorrectly to the solution and therefore
got the wrong answer.

  At BEST (after subtracting the 25% of the questions which were
>correct because of guesses) you COULD claim that 3.6% of them understood the

Completely fallacious.

>No, that's not zero percent, but when this is averaged along with all the
>questions where girls actually scored lower than if they had just GUESSED,
>the sum total of their scores is a statistial ZERO percent.
>The number of times that they scored lower than if they had just guessed was

And that fact shows that in fact "guessing" does not explain the pattern.

Oh, and your 3% error range is inappropriate and incorrect.  You seem to
think that all statistical data comes with a 3% error range.  It doesn't.
But we've torn you a strange orifice before because of your incompetence of
statistics, and you persist in pulling numbers out of your strange orifice.