brain sizes: Einstein's and women's

Tom Breton tehom at
Mon Jul 15 16:35:07 EST 2002

Bob LeChevalier <lojbab at> writes:

> "John Knight" <johnknight at> wrote:
> >The simple fact that they have to go back a century and dredge up a woman
> >who got a Nobel Prize BECAUSE her husband requested she be added to the list
> >is proof enough of the lack of women Nobel Prize winners, eh?
> lists 30 women who won Nobel prizes, many of them in the sciences,

I checked it out, and I wouldn't have characterized the list that way.

Few of them were in the sciences (11 counting Marie Curie and her
daughter 3 times),

Almost all the women's science prizes were shared (always with men),

Both the unshared women's science prizes suggest lowered standards:
"for the development of radioimmunoassays of peptide hormones.", "for
her determinations by X-ray techniques of the structures of important
biochemical substances."  Both seem to consist of applying existing
techniques (radioimmunoassays, X-ray techniques) to fresh data.  Good
work, and I don't criticize it, but a man wouldn't get a Nobel for it,
I think.

Tom Breton at, username tehom.