brain sizes: Einstein's and women's

Bob LeChevalier lojbab at
Tue Jul 16 16:11:47 EST 2002

Tom Breton <tehom at> wrote:
>Few of them were in the sciences (11 counting Marie Curie and her
>daughter 3 times),
>Almost all the women's science prizes were shared (always with men),

Most science prizes are shared.

>Both the unshared women's science prizes suggest lowered standards:
>"for the development of radioimmunoassays of peptide hormones.", "for
>her determinations by X-ray techniques of the structures of important
>biochemical substances."  Both seem to consist of applying existing
>techniques (radioimmunoassays, X-ray techniques) to fresh data.  Good
>work, and I don't criticize it, but a man wouldn't get a Nobel for it,
>I think.

The Nobel Foundation awards exactly one prize per year.  The work in question
was deemed more significant than any other among the nominees of the year; I
don't choose to second guess the committee in their evaluation of the
importance of the work.  That few women have been honored shows that there is
no particular reason to believe a quota system exists.   Since all of science
is built on the shoulders of others it is usually possible to claim that a
discovery is the result of applying existing X to new circumstances Y.