brain sizes: Einstein's and women's

Cary Kittrell cary at afone.as.arizona.edu
Wed Jul 17 19:45:19 EST 2002

In article <DPmZ8.5504$Fq6.304114 at news2.west.cox.net> "John Knight" <johnknight at usa.com> writes:
<
<"Cary Kittrell" <cary at afone.as.arizona.edu> wrote in message
<news:agvk71$914$1 at oasis.ccit.arizona.edu...
<> In article <3d333c95.21227708 at news.freeserve.net>
<angilion at ypical.fsnet.co.uk (Angilion) writes:
<> <
        {...}
<> <
<> <It is evidence that most people in the USA do not believe in the
<> <theory of evolution.
<>
<> Actually, if you read what John himself has put up on his site,
<> you'll notice that those who believe in YEC are in fact a minority.
<> Those who answered that evolution took place, with or without
<> God's tinkering about with it, were forty-nine percent of the
<> respondents.
<>
<>
<> -- cary
<
<
<cary, you've either got one terrible comprehension problem, or you're a
<LIAR.
<
<Read that page again http://christianparty.net/gallupcreation.htm
<
<Better yet, here's an excerpt:
<
<Human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms
<of life, but God guided this process.  40%
<Human beings have developed over millions of years from lessadvanced forms
<of life. God had no part in this process.  9
<God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time
<within the last 10,000 years or so.  47
<No opinion  4
<
<
<
<Let me do the math for you, since you seem to be in such a state of denial
<that you can't do it.
<
<A total of 87% believe that God created life.
<
<A total of 4% had no opinion.
<
<A total of 9% are "evolutionists" who believe "God had no part in this
<process".
<
<It's REAL easy to fool feminazis, isn't it?  Just pay attention, and we'll
<guide you along.
<

Well, 40% believe:

    Human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced
    forms of life.

which is a rather fine and succinct description of evolution.  The fact
that they further believe that:

    God guided this process

does not mean that they do not believe in the evolutionary process, which
is simply the observation that:

    Human beings [and all other organisms] have developed over
    millions of years from less advanced forms of life.

as opposed, to, say:

    God POOFED it all into existence, in a week or so.

which is not an evolutionary viewpoint.

According to Larson's 1997 repeat of Leuba's famous 1916 poll of belief
among scientists (published in Science), about thirty percent of biologists
report a belief in God (up, actually, from the 1916 result).  I will promise
you that only a tiny fraction of those do not believe in evolution,
which is no more and no less than the premise that:

    Human beings [and all other organisms] have developed over
    millions of years from less advanced forms of life.

so it is quite possible to believe that

    Human beings have developed over millions of years from less
    advanced forms of life, but God guided this process.

as 40% of Americans apparently do.

Note that evolution does NOT say:

    there is no God

and is in fact, like the rest of science, mute on the question of God.

Evolution does not say He did it, it does not say He did not do it.
Will you find me a textbook on evolution that even mentions the question?

In fact, rather a few of Darwin's contemporaries believed they were
enhancing the glory of God by studying exactly how He Did It.  But
in any event, if the Gallup figures are reasonably correct, then
approximately 50% of Americans polled feel that organisms have
slowly turned into other organisms over a very very very long period
of time, which is exactly the definition of evolution.

-- cary

oh, one other thing: how am I a LIAR when I say that:

    Actually, if you read what John himself has put up on his site,
    you'll notice that those who believe in YEC are in fact a minority.

when by definition, if you believe that:

    Human beings have developed over millions of years from less
    advanced forms of life, but God guided this process.

you cannot believe in YEC?

Hmmmm?