brain sizes: Einstein's and women's

Bob LeChevalier lojbab at lojban.org
Fri Jul 19 15:52:33 EST 2002

"John Knight" <johnknight at usa.com> wrote:
>Is this why men score 18-50% higher than women on ever test ever devised,
>across races, nations, and continents, and have since Day One?

Actually, you lose again, nincompoop.

http://www.ditd.org/floater.php?location=149

>On the original Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale, an untimed test of verbal
> abstract reasoning abilities, girls surpassed the boys at every age level
> until adolescence (Terman, 1916). But from the time Wechsler first studied
> men who could not qualify on the Army Alpha to serve in the armed forces
> (Matarazzo, 1981), we have moved steadily toward more spatial conceptions of
> intelligence, "Intelligence tests that deemphasize verbal skills and
> emphasize performance, that is, spatial-visual activities, may ... be biased
> against girls who receive much less practice than boys at puzzles and
> assembly" (Kerr, 1991, p. 408).

Note that girls did better than boys on the original intelligence test!

Faced with this information, I looked back at your statement, from another
poster about Wechsler, which I now repeat:
> But the *information* is out there.  Credit to Leonardo
> <Leonardo_member at newsguy.com> in <9miftl0239r at drn.newsguy.com> for the
> following:
>
> >  When Wechsler was developing his IQ test, he found
> >  that out of 105 tests assessing skills in solving
> >  maze-puzzles, involving the most heterogeneous
> >  populations throughout the world, 99 showed an
> >  incontrovertible male superiority. (Wechsler resolved
> >  this type of problem by eliminating all those tests
> >  that resulted in findings of significant sex
> >  differences.)

Now rereading this claim (without a reference cite, I might add, so the claim
isn't even verified, and I could not find any source that confirms it), we
see that it is a statement about "maze-puzzles", which is only ONE kind of
subtest that is involved in intelligence testing, and indeed is one of those
"spatial-visual activities" that my source indicates boys tend to outperform
girls in.  In other subtests of a more verbal nature, the girls outperformed
the boys (otherwise the girls would not have outperformed the boys on the
Stanford-Binet test).

Thus if Wechsler threw out subtests that showed significant sex differences,
he probably threw out even more that favored girls than those that favored
boys.  But we don't know, because you cannot provide a reference for the
claim you keep repeating.

BTW, Wechsler must have eventually thrown out "maze-puzzles" completely,
because the Wechsler test has NO such subtests today.  Half the test is
verbal, and half is non-verbal, and the non-verbal tests do not include any
mazes.

Oh, while I'm out web-browsing on the subject, for the edification of the
racists:
http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/dysgenic.htm
>Modern intelligence tests are designed to eliminate gender differences in
> overall scores. Nevertheless while the average scores for white males are
> the same as those for white females, the average scores for black males tend
> to be 4 to 5 points below those of black females.

Oh, and from the same page
>It is probably significant that brain sizes differ between races. It has also
> been found that brain size and IQ have a correlation of .30. Taking into
> account overall body size it was found that blacks have brains about 100
> cubic centimetres smaller than whites.

A .30 correlation is significant, but is not especially high, certainly not
as high as you have claimed.

http://members.aol.com/pitcher222/Docs/Development.doc
>From:  Maccoby, E. E., & Jackson, C. N. (!974). The psychology of sex differences.
>
>      Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
>

>UNFOUNDED BELIEFS ABOUT SEX DIFFERENCES:
>

>1.  That girls are more ?social? that boys.
>
>2. That girls are more ?suggestible? than boys.
>
>3. That girls have lower self-esteem.
>
>4. That girls are better are rote learning and simple repetitive tasks, boys at  tasks that require higher-level cognitive processing and the inhibition of  previously learned responses.
>
>5. That boys are more ?analytic?.
>
>6. The boys are more affected by heredity, girls by environment.
>
>7. That girls lack achievement motivation.
>
>8. That girls are auditory, boys visual.
>

>SEX DIFFERENCES THAT ARE FAIRLY WELL ESTABLISHED
>
>1. That girls have greater verbal ability than boys (early adolescence through  high school, not in childhood)
>
>2. The boys excel in visual--spatial ability  (adolescence and adulthood, not  childhood)
>
>3. That boys excel in mathematical ability (age 12-13 and after; early years no  differences)
>
>4. That males are more aggressive (physical and verbal, as early as play at 2  years, many cultures)
>
>OPEN QUESTIONS: TOO LITTLE EVIDENCE
>
>1. Tactile sensitivity
>
>2. Fear, timidity, anxiety
>
>3. Activity level