brain sizes: Einstein's and women's

John Knight johnknight at usa.com
Sun Jul 21 14:19:26 EST 2002

"Parse Tree" <parsetree at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:bPt_8.24$sb5.2959 at news20.bellglobal.com...
> "Jet" <thatjetnospam at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:3D3A6925.A4823F50 at yahoo.com...
> >
> > Parse Tree wrote:
> > >
> > > "Jet" <thatjetnospam at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > news:3D3A61A8.93F4E326 at yahoo.com...

H04
> ?
> you
> > > could
> etc. -
> > > so

> that
> guessed.

> means,
> > > so
> them
> > > out,

> the
> > > left
> with
> > > the
> is
> > > spent

> the

> > > Doesn't that refer to it as the system is in the state of falling (not
> at
> > > the point it is dropped, and not after it has hit the ground)?  Since
> they
> > > both travel at the same speed, the tension in the string should be
zero.

> > What is the tension in the string before they are dropped? They are
> > traveling the same speed then. :)
>
> They are not in a state of falling at that point.  One ball is being held
> against gravity, and the other is not.  If both balls were held up, then
the
> tension would be 0.  It's really about the force, but I was just giving a
> layman explanation (since I am a layman).
>
> According to the test the answer is 0, is it not?

The correct answer is voluminously documented at the url's that were linked
to this question, so this is no longer the issue.  The issue is that
American 12th grade girls answered this question in a way that suggests they
were misled.

The reason we know they were misled is that only 22.8% of them got it
correct, compared to an international average for girls of 26.3%, 42.6% of
American boys, and 53.9% of Swedish boys.

Clearly American girls did very poorly on this question. If they knew
nothing whatsoever, 25% of them would have gotten it correct just by
guessing, so when 2.2% fewer get it correct than if they'd just guessed,
many of them clearly thought they knew the right answer, but it was the
wrong answer.

This is a bit worse than knowing absolutely nothing about the problem,
wouldn't you say?  If it was just one question, you could chalk it up to
some kind of error in the test, but this was just one of 13 questions where
the same thing happened http://christianparty.net/timssphysics.htm

John Knight