brain sizes: Einstein's and women's

John Knight johnknight at usa.com
Wed Jul 24 12:51:21 EST 2002


"Zayton" <zayton at bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:n4m%8.1374$ND5.293745 at e3500-atl2.usenetserver.com...
>
> "Parse Tree" <parsetree at hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:g1f%8.9723$sb5.695333 at news20.bellglobal.com...
> > "John Knight" <johnknight at usa.com> wrote in message
> > news:3ye%8.16391$Fq6.1799694 at news2.west.cox.net...
> > >
> > > "T. R. Ellis" <tr3ellis2nz at dropthis&3&2.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > news:if3lju0nktg11nmfsh7d1qd2fmv23cvt9f at 4ax.com...
> > > > Parse Tree wrote:
> > > > >T. R. Ellis wrote:
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Hell, you don't even believe that science is a part of human
> culture,
> > > > >> your "HS" taught you that fingers don't have muscles (it's THEIR
> > > > >> fault, not yours) and that the world has only three races of
human
> > > > >> beings.
> > > > >
> > > > >Science is a part of human culture,
> > > >
> > > > Perhaps you'll let the little racist princess "Jet" know this.  She
> > > > denied that science is a part of human culture.  She tries to lie
her
> > > > way out of it now by making a nebulous claim about "context" (and,
of
> > > > course, never backing up her claim with any sort of evidence).
> > > >
> > > > But then, she also thinks that Usenet subject lines are, inherently,
> > > > "facts".
> > > >
> > > > >that is why any test of Science ability is culturally biased.
> > > >
> > > > Tell it to the Chinese and Japanese.
> > > >
> > > > >The scientific method is rather eurocentric, as is
> > > > >much of science itself.
> > > >
> > > > That's a rather eurocentric attitude, wouldn't you say?  Other
> > > > cultures (Chinese, Egyptian, Mayan, etc). surely used variations of
> > > > scientific method, but perhaps not as refined as it is today.
> > > >
> > > > I must remind you.  You failed to characterise scientific method as
> > > > "patriarchal", didn't you?  After all, it doesn't allow a lot of
> > > > leeway for the feminist-ways-of-knowing.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > T. R. Ellis
> > >
> > > Well said, T. R.,
> > >
> > > If the "scientific method is rather eurocentric" as parsetree claims,
> then
> > > Koreans and Japanese and Taiwanese and Singaporeans must be "euros",
> > because
> > > they scored light years ahead of us in the "eurocentric" test called
> > TIMSS.
> > > Even at the 8th grade level, Japanese 8th graders scored 105 points
> higher
> > > than us, and Korean 8th graders scored 107 points higher, and 8th
> graders
> > in
> > > Singapore scored 143 points higher.
> > > http://christianparty.net/table20_1.htm
> >
> > No.  This means no such thing.  It simply means that asia adopted
certain
> > European viewpoints, faster than the rest of the world.
> >
> >
>
> It means, more specifically that Asian educational systems teach
techniques
> for taking eurocentric tests.
>
> Joe
>
>
>

Bunk.  Asians couldn't care less about taking "eurocentric" tests.  None of
the Asian countries who beat the pants off us at the 8th grade level even
bothered to take the 12th grade test, because they already knew what TIMSS
was supposed to discover for them.

Do you "think" that 95% of Japanese high school gradutes COMPLETE calculus
just because they emulate "eurocentric" tests?  Heck, no.  It's partly
because they recognize the value of calculus, partly because they're
*capable* of learning calculus, and partly because all their teachers *know*
calculus.

Do you know why less than 5% of American students even take calculus in high
school?  Because 12 years of an "American" public "education" makes them
uneducable--they CANNOT comprehend calculus, many of their teachers don't
even know the multiplication tables, much less calculus, so most American
students don't even know the value of calculus.

Math is an international language.  There's nothing at all "eurocentric"
about a math test.

John Knight






More information about the Neur-sci mailing list