Bryan Derksen bderksen at REM0VEgpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Sun Jun 2 16:38:49 EST 2002

On 2 Jun 2002 10:52:07 -0700, schillin at spock.usc.edu (John Schilling)
wrote:
>stremler at rohan.sdsu.edu writes:
>>I hear stories like this and I just wonder what people are thinking when
>>they admit to heinous crimes that they (allegedly) didn't do.
>
>"If I tell the mean policeman what he wants to hear, he will let me go
>to the bathroom and then take a nap."

And then there's always the completely rational approach; "If you
confess, you'll get 20 years. If we convict you, you get the chair."

I know that the justice system is not infallable, and that many people
get convicted who are actually innocent. I can get a lot of books read
in 20 years, and then after that they'll let me go. If it looks like
they've got enough evidence and witnesses lined up, or I'm the wrong
ethnicity or whatever, then it might be a safer bet to make even if I
didn't really do it.