George george_at_cap at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 3 21:07:58 EST 2002

Charles Richmond wrote:

> J Ahlstrom wrote:
> >
> > Bryan Derksen wrote:

> > > And then there's always the completely rational approach; "If you
> > > confess, you'll get 20 years. If we convict you, you get the chair."
> > >
> > > I know that the justice system is not infallable, and that many people
> > > get convicted who are actually innocent. I can get a lot of books read
> > > in 20 years, and then after that they'll let me go. If it looks like
> > > they've got enough evidence and witnesses lined up, or I'm the wrong
> > > ethnicity or whatever, then it might be a safer bet to make even if I
> > > didn't really do it.
> >
> > US District Court Judge Richard Posner wrote something like:
> >
> >    Anything we do to increase the numbere of guilty
> >    we convict will increase the number of innocent we convict.
> >    Anything we do to increase the number of innocent we acquit
> >    will increase the number of guilty we acquit.
> > Posner, Richard
> >     Problems of Jurisprudence,
> >     Harvard Press, 1993
> >
> Well, after someone is convicted of a heinous crime, the least
> the government can do is *not* let the son-of-a-bitch out before
> he does all his jail time!!!

Well, I've heard 5 percent of people in the US sit in jail innocently.
Considering that at least something like 3 million Americans are in
jail at each given time (and the number is growing) makes 150
thousand people being buttfucked unnecessarily, all because of
a need for a superefficient black and white in god we trust justice
system. It is easy to play with other people's lives. Apparently
conviction is far too often a joke.

George