Mike Williams mike at nospam.please
Wed Jun 5 00:29:17 EST 2002

Wasn't it J Ahlstrom who wrote:
>George wrote:
>
>>  Well, I've heard 5 percent of people in the US sit in jail innocently.
>> Considering that at least something like 3 million Americans are in
>> jail at each given time (and the number is growing) makes 150
>> thousand people being buttfucked unnecessarily, all because of
>> a need for a superefficient black and white in god we trust justice
>> system. It is easy to play with other people's lives. Apparently
>> conviction is far too often a joke.
>>
>> George
>
>I hope you mean "5% of the people in US jails are innocent".
>Got any sources?

How could anyone make a serious attempt to calculate that percentage?

Presumably what you'd have to do is take a random sample of the people
in jail, and then determine which of them are actually innocent, and
which of them are actually guilty. However, this seems to require a
method of determining guilt that is better than the existing judicial
system.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure