Consciousness, New Thinking About

DJ DJ at
Wed Jun 5 21:28:01 EST 2002

JGC9 <jgcasey at> wrote in message
news:3cfeb3a5$1_1 at
> "tony.jeffs" <tonyjeffs2 at> wrote in message
> > c) not got a memory
>   Consciousness does seem to require a short term memory.

I'd argue that it requires either short or long term memory.  Without either
of those the brain loses its ability to position itself in the grand scheme
of things.  Some people have seizures after their memory starts to screw up
and their thoughts turn inward.  They lose the ability to recall memories
other than those that have resulted from earlier thoughts.  i.e.  They can
only think about thoughts.  Call it an "aura" or self-consciousness if you
like.  Soon after, that also diminishes and consciousness goes out the door
with it.  You could argue that these things are coincidental.  It's an
interesting fact though that memory problems are commonly reported by people
with epilepsy.