Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Thu Jun 6 18:10:36 EST 2002

On Thu, 06 Jun 2002 12:09:55 -0600, George <george_at_cap at hotmail.com> wrote:
>  Charlie Gibbs wrote:
>
> > In article <3CFE7DE8.D5B1C0CD at alcyone.com> max at alcyone.com
> > (Erik Max Francis) writes:

> > >Could you children take it outside?
> >
> > Hitler.
> >
> > I know, I know - but at least I had to try.
>
>  Does this have to do with the story I've heard that any thread
>  that mentions the word Hitler is dead?

>From the Jargon file:

    Godwin's Law prov.

    [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a
    comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition
    in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever
    mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in
    progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an
    upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a
    widely-recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law
    in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful
Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com
PGP Key: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/pgp-lars.asc