Consciousness, New Thinking About

danearr at fastq.com danearr at fastq.com
Sat Jun 8 00:03:32 EST 2002

In article <3ceaa42c.58094995 at news.erols.com>, igoddard at erols.mom (Ian
Goddard) wrote:

> A New Thinking Emerges About Consciousness
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42772-2002May19.html
>
> Couple excerpts:
>
> "All the work that one imagines being done by the ego are
> really done by bits of the brain. Those brain tissues are
> not conscious and do not know who you are or care -- but
> their activity adds up to 'conscious you.' "
>
> The most extreme version of this view, which is sometimes
> called reductionism, suggests that consciousness is an
> illusion. A new book by Harvard professor Daniel Wegner
> is titled, "The Illusion of Conscious Will."
>
> The feeling you have as you read this sentence, Wegner
> argues, is an illusion pulled off by a complex machine in
> your skull. It not only reads and understands this sentence,
> he says, but also makes you feel as if you have experienced
> the reading of the sentence. In other words, the brain, not
> content with being a remarkably complex machine, also
> convinces itself that it isn't a machine at all.

When Wegner can explain the "brain's" success at long term memory, based
on a "tissue"-based "complex machine", maybe his arguments will have as
much substance as his position suggests that they should.

> [...on the other hand...]

While I find much of what Chalmers (below) says disagrees with what I
think, I believe that his conclusion pasted below is true. Regardless of
how one comes to the truth, the truth remains and will enable those who
acknowledge it to create an increasingly true process to explain how they
got there.

My own path is a mathematical model that also treats consciousness as a
fundamental property of the universe, because it emerges from the Void and
retains that connection at the center of being.

> "The hard problem is hard because no explanation of brain
> processes will explain subjective experience," said Chalmers,
> a philosopher at the University of Arizona. "I am interested
> in the perceptual aspects of consciousness. The feeling of
> pain, the taste of chocolate, the sight of blue -- all
> these are subjective experiences."
>
> Chalmers believes scientists will eventually conclude that
> consciousness is a fundamental property of the universe --
> like space, time or gravity -- and therefore not reducible.
>

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42772-2002May19.html
>

>  http://IanGoddard.net
>
>  Out-Of-Body Explanation: http://IanGoddard.net/paranorm.htm

There are many innovative models competing to be recognized as correct
today, but none will succeed, not because they are wrong, but because they
attempt to displace belief. The succesfull will find acknowledgement only
when a new generation is raised that can calmly evaluate the new theories.

Meantime, we should enjoy talking to one another about these ideas.

Dane Arr