Consciousness ~=~ self-referentiality' (was Re: Consciousness, New Thinking About

tony.jeffs tonyjeffs2 at REMOVEaol.com
Sun Jun 9 04:41:28 EST 2002

Compression & Complexity

A difficulty Im having is "how do you identify the relevant complexity?"
Imagine I've just painted the wall with blue paint.

The relevant complexity is
"Paint wall blue"

One could add
"... miss a bit at top left edge;  ... brush hair near centre..... paint too
thick left centre..."
But that's not part of it.

One could add
"Chemical structure of paint molecules = ....."
But that's not part of it.
Being less pedantic, if we consider human complexity as being relevant to
human consciousness, the complexity of the whole body doesn't apper to be
relevant, only the brain, but maybe not the motor parts.... and maybe not
the  primitave parts like the tecta...

This is too much of a tangent for me.  Think I'll move past this for now.

Thanks
Tony

"Matt Jones" <jonesmat at physiology.wisc.edu> wrote in message
news:b86268d4.0206031417.52410c2e at posting.google.com...
news:<adge3f$6t9$0 at 216.221.131.245>...