Zombie posters help brain surgery patients relax

Colin Alcarze clocks at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 15 01:38:02 EST 2002

CITY HOSPITAL-- Brain surgery is always an extremely serious procedure.
It requires delicate precision, and there is a risk of loss of life.
Operations can have varying probabilities of success, and that makes
patients who require brain surgery very nervous.

But when patients notice the zombie movie posters around the operating
rooms at the City Hospital, they're able to relax just a little before
they go under the knife and have their skulls opened up, exposing their
brains.

"When people are in our operating rooms, they feel vulnerable," said Dr.
Louise Spencer, chief neurosurgeon. "They're a little distracted with the
worries of their intracerebral hemorrhages, subdural hematomas, and
cavernous angiomas. These zombie posters give them a little chuckle
before we anesthetize them and remove the tops of their craniums. I think
it puts them at ease."

The most popular poster is of Night Of The Living Dead, a movie about
zombies, and their desire to consume the brains of the living. The
operating room contains other zombie-related posters, including Day Of
The Dead, Dawn Of The Dead, Return Of The Living Dead, and Return Of The
Living Dead II.

"We thought about putting up a Hannibal poster," said Dr. Fletcher,
"because people instantly the exposed brain scene. It's brain-related,
but there are no zombies in the movie...unless you consider Ray Liotta's
performance."

full story: http://www.thetoque.com/020611/brainsurgery.htm