Consciousness, New Thinking About

DJ DJ at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 15 21:26:59 EST 2002

tony.jeffs <tonyjeffs2 at REMOVEaol.com> wrote in message
news:WAIO8.1308$sv5.86493 at newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net...

> "DJ" <DJ at hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:newscache$mr0rxg$gn2$1 at maggie.netlink.com.au...
>
> > Hmmm... Maybe each of us is a different "instance" of the same conscious
> > entity.  Nonetheless real both physically and mentally.  Unique,
> individual
> > consciousness might result from "filtering" that single conscious entity
> > through each unique physical entity.  This possibility raises the
question
> > of how each individual consciousness is able to interact with the single
> > conscious entity.  In computing terms, can they update eachother's data?
> > Sorry, I'm just pissing into the wind too.
> >
> > DJ
>
> I like the shared consciousness view because it seems simpler, but does it
> actually mean anything?
> Myself and a colleague's pc are on the same central hard disk drive.
> ==equivalent to one consciousness- or does it?.
> Butsince we have our own passwords, and sharing some server management
> software,  we can't access each other's files or front-end software, so we
> effectively have two independant systems, equating to two independant
> consciousnesses.

I think that your analogy of running the same software on two separate
machines (each with different physical characteristics) is a useful one.
The physical characteristics of each client PC will determine how the
program performs, providing each with a unique experience.  To improve the
analogy I would have the same program running on a server simultaneously.
The server software (including data) is continuously broadcast to all
clients.  The client PCs, because of their physical limitations, cannot use
all of the software.

Stretching the analogy a bit (no, a lot!) further...the clients notify the
server about each event (eg keyboard input).  Each client maintains a record
of its events in the form of index entries in its own - unreliable - memory.
If a client PC needs to recall/retrieve a particular event, it can use an
index entry as a "key", thereby giving it access to the appropriate part of
the continuously broadcast server software.  Advanced clients are able to
store simulated events (thoughts) wholly, but imperfectly, within their own
memory.  During memory retrieval these can override and confuse the
retrieval of real events.

Under this scenario you and your colleague do have independent
consciousnesses, but at all times you are both dependent on the existence of
the server.  You can be aware of the same events (imagine the PCs share the
same modem).  You might be able to be aware of events that you haven't
personally experienced (using ESP) if you can somehow manage to create the
appropriate keys.

Hope this helps,

DJ