The Engram Problem

Kenneth Collins k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 18 13:34:55 EST 2002

my view is that Karl Lashley got it right ~~50 years ago.

what's referred to as "memory" occurs as a function of the whole network, as
the network 'strives' ['blindly' and automatically] to achieve maximized
'inhibition' and minimized 'excitation' topologically-distributed within it
[shorthand TD E/I(min); the minimization of the topologically-distributed
[relative] ratios of excitation to inhibition].

it works be-cause it's all rigorously aligned with the one-way flow of
energy from order to disorder that is what's described by 2nd Thermo
[WDB2T], and so is the rest of physical reality.

no one will ever 'find a memory in a neuron', all they'll ever find is this
or that neuron's functional contributions to 'memories' that're stored,
retrieved and cross-correlated ['associated'] within the neural topology as
a whole.

[i've got an old hypertext monograph that outlines the mechanism. i'll send
it to you [and anyone else] if you [and/or they] want it. [dl about 300k,
expands to a meg, runs under Windows.]]

k. p. collins [ken]