In the News with Analysis

Kenneth Collins k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 20 21:29:49 EST 2002

all behavior is produced as a =by-product= of nervous systems doing exactly
one thing: 'seeking' to minimize the topologically-distributed ratios of
excitation to inhibition that occur within them.

please give me any example that you propose as a 'contradiction'.

'of course' environmental factors exert 'pressures' that become manifest in
behavior, but all this occurs in a 'blindly'-automated way, via TD
E/I-minimization within nervous systems.

and when understanding of how and why the 'blind'-automation occurs within
nervous systems comes to exist within nervous systems, the
'blind'-automation 'disappears'.

the understanding of how nervous systems process-information changes
everything.

for instance, one possessing the understanding can See that folks who
experience different environments will experience TD E/I-minimization
differentially with respect to any given 'entity'. understanding this, one
can See that the 'passions' that're  are 'just' 'servo-mechanisms' within
'blindly'-automated probabilistic functionality. Seeing this, one can Choose
behavior which transcends resort to 'recrimination'.

why is such useful?

folks Ravage one another because they 'blindly'-and-automatically allow the
'passion' to Dictate behavior.

the understanding, thus, allows folks to transcend this
interpersonally-inflicted Ravaging.

look at it another way - even Physics is Neuroscience, be-cause Physics is
done through-the-'lens' of nervous system function.

understand nervous system function, and the 'lens' through which Physics
[and everything else] is done transforms from being something analagous to
one of those 'translucent-wavy-glass-building-bricks, which interfere with
vision, into crystal-clarity.

that which imposes 'blindness' disappears.

again, please give me any example that you propose as a 'contradiction'.

and, if you prefer not to offer such an example, let's go our separate ways.
it's OK with me if you think i'm a 'moron'. don't 'worry' about it.

k. p. collins

Glen M. Sizemore wrote in message <3d122cfd$1_5 at news5.nntpserver.com>...
>Behavioral facts are not neurobiological facts and neurobiological facts
are
>not behavioral facts. That is simply the way it is. The notion that we will
>solve the frightening problems facing us by "better understanding the
brain"
>is silly for two reasons. 1.) We know very little about how the brain
>"brings about behavior" (actually it is better to say "how the brain
>mediates the effects of the environment") and 2.) It will probably never be
>possible or practical to change behavior in a widespread way by direct
>intervention with nervous tissue.
>
>If we wish to avoid the inevitable disaster toward which we seem to be
>moving, we will need to understand the phylogeny and ontogeny of behavior
as
>well as cultural processes. Neurobiology will remain largely irrelevant.
>
>"Kenneth Collins" <k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>news:KDoQ8.52341$UT.3533834 at bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> Glen M. Sizemore wrote in message <3d11cb34$1_6 at news5.nntpserver.com>...
>> >KC: it's=all= Neuroscience, all appropriate for bionet.neuroscience, all
>> >stuff upon which the Survival of Humanity depends, and unavailable
>anywhere
>> >else on the face of the planet.
>> >

>> >GS: If you think the solution to world problems is "in the brain" you
are
>> >bigger moron than you appear to be (wait.....that's not possible). To
>alter
>> >ourselves in ways conducive to the survival of our culture and species
is
>> >matter of arranging environments and this is behavioral science, not
>> >neurobiology. Neurobiology will not contribute one iota to solutions for
>> the
>> >massive problems that face us.
>>

>> ho, ho, ho,
>>
>> Behavioral Science is Neuroscience. even in the realm of the
Supernatural.