Consciousness, New Thinking About

Glen M. Sizemore gmsizemore2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 07:48:32 EST 2002

Matt: Perhaps this is too much of a perpendicular to consciousness, but
something I have wondered about is the basis for intuition, perhaps framed
as preanalytic thought, and its relationship to consciousness.

GS: You mean like when people simply behave without talking to themselves or
otherwise "thinking?" Yeah, I wonder how one could make sense of that. Hmmm,
I wonder if such behavior can be interpreted via the processes discovered in
the laboratory, where the behavior of non-human subjects can be understood
as a function of their past history and current environment? Of course, to
describe it, we might have to describe aspects of the currently present
environment that demonstrably alter the probability of certain "responses"
(identifiable units of behavior) and the historical aspects of the
environment that have produced such a fact. We might even have break the
world up into "stimuli" and "responses" and give the processes descriptive
names like "reinforcement" and "discriminative stimulus" and "operant" and
"respondent" and "conditioned reinforcement", and "extinction" etc. But
then, that we be jargonish, right Matt. And, of course, it doesn't answer
brilliant questions like "Do rocks have intuition?"

news:3D15A874.6040207 at automagic.org...