Consciousness, New Thinking About

PF fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jun 27 12:13:55 EST 2002

"John H." <John at overhere> wrote in message
news:6sfR8.1784$5l4.66197 at ozemail.com.au...

<snip>

I snipped a lot of your goodly stated stuff in order to save  space and
because
there is not enough time for me to agree in active detail with it all.
So I confine myself to commenting on the following of what you wrote:

> Consciousness is not primarily a higher
> cognitive function but a primitive attentional-selection processes where
the
> point of reference is the body and later the created self.

This adds to my impression that you might actually have a very much
'EPT-aligned' view of things!
And, perhaps it could become even more so! :-)

By "EPT-aligned" I mean something like: "aligned with my own Encompassing
Pondering (of Things), turned Explanatory Philosophical Terminology.

You see, I have found it very rewarding (including self-edutaining) to have
contrived and made (Tolerance Principled) use the concept "actention"
[obtained
by mixing
"action" with "attention"].

However, the main and primary concEPT-contriving aim, and ultimate result,
of this amalgamation
was/is the way it contributes to make up the uniquely meaningful 'inner
anatomy' of
the acronym "AEVASIVE".

The hybrid "actention" does its ultimate concept-content-contributory job
(right in the middle of AEVASIVE) in the
form of the
expression/representation,
"Actention (Selection) System" [i.e., ~ >= "brain" or "nervous
system"].

[Apropos which: The possibility of using the term "Actention", followed by
the words, "Regulating System of the Encephalon, would to my taste result in
a needlessly narrow implied definition.:->]

Especially one of the 3 variants of this expression/representation
is (to me) fun and forgivable; and the particular flavour of concEPTual
fusion that it might be said to represent can be called 'fuzzsilly' logical.

There are other such (fuzzsilly logical, or solely silly sounding)
concEPTual forms (or sem_antics) within EPT --- not only septic-humored
such.

The "AS" is definable both metaphorically, philosophically, and by
references to
various relevant conventional scientific studies and interpretations.

Being a non-academic type, I eventually gave up trying to include all those
little
relevant EPT-building/supporting research report references that I
intensively searched for and *did* dilligently collect (on pieces of
scrap-paper) over a
period of about 18 years.

[By the way, although I of course especially looked for and soaked up
anything that were specifically indicative of how to arrive at additional,
or to confirm already affixed, attributes of my strived-for "encompassing
philosophical thesis" (what came to be called EPT) and anything that were
indicative of the aptness of it all, I along-the-way never encountered any
scientifically established indications *to the contrary*.]

Realistically, anyone who is capable of appreciating EPT will need to be
predisposed at least by having roughly the same overview of what facts or
solid-to-semi-solid informational matters that have accumulated by science
(i.e., "science" here meant as a broadly inclusive 'trial-n-error based'
process).

IOW, any
potential EPT-adopter need to have approximately my kind of aquaintance
with and attitude to scientifically established principles, theories,
interpretations & concepts.

A to me seemingly elastically fitting metaphore for the internal
dynamics of the "AS" is something like that of a non-murderous 'Roman arena'
in which many
individuals
(here analogous to neurons) and teams of co-operating individuals (for
mostly *non-neatly*
spatially organized, though functionally significant, neural
circuits/assemblies, or modules of neurons, all of which being capable of
'remembering' significant past situations or environmental influences)
compete for transient dominance whilst being cheered
and/or booed by spectators (analogous to approximately concurrent
environmental influences).

Peter

P.S.
[Very much by the way, EPT was arrived at partly from a a very flashy and
forceful but very flighty or fast-fading insight, followed by eventually
frustratingly feeble festering feelings of 'intuitive (both image- and
word-less) knowing', then through a somewhat sudden self-shaming awakening
to my own uninformed ignorance -- something that contributed to 'encourage'
tenacious attempts by me to as if recapture the once felt empowering impact
of insight (the "faded flash of insight") in any conceptually concretifying
way possible (or, IOW, to find a way, and learn, to realistically,
reproducibly, and relatively consistently recreate something akin to a
concept assisted 'half-way collapse' the same one-time mental event -
perhaps one of a quasi epileptic quality - that with high-brow hind-sight
can be loosely likened to something fairly "universal wave-functionish") --
I spent a couple of decades searching for and sniffing-out sense making
"informational matter" from within a broad range of predigested and often
already thoroughly Established (i.e., established by the "process of
Science" - science spellt with a "swollen S" to flag and warn that the
word-meaning is stretched to cover also philosophical pursuits and
preoccupation, including percEPTive such) Principles and Theories.]

> [...]
> self-paced probing of the environment, also prominent in prokaryotic
> behavior, one can make mammalian neuroanatomy amenable to dramatically
> straightforward rationalization. Muscular contrac-tion is the nervous
system
> 's only externally directed product, and the signaling routes which pass
> through the various brain components must ultimately converge on the motor
> areas. The function of several components is still debatable, so it might
> seem premature to analyze the global operation of the circuit these routes
> constitute. But such analysis produces a remarkably simple picture, and it
> sheds new light on the roles of the individual components. The underlying
> principle is conditionally permitted movement, some components being able
> veto muscular contraction by denying the motor areas sufficient
activation.
> This is true of the basal ganglia (BG) and the cerebellum (Cb), which act
in
> tandem with the sensory cerebrum, and which can prevent the latter's
signals
> to the motor areas from exceeding the threshold for overt movement. It is
> also true of the anterior cingulate, which appears to play a major role in
> directing attention. In mammals, the result can be mere thought, provided
> that a second lower threshold is exceeded. The veto functions of the BG
and
> the Cb stem from inhibition, but the countermanding disinhibition develops
> at markedly different rates in those two key components. It develops
rapidly
> in the BG, control being exercised by the amygdala, which itself is
governed
> by various other brain regions. It develops over time in the Cb, thereby
> permitting previously executed movements that have proved advantageous. If
> cognition is linked to overt or covert movement, intelligence becomes the
> ability to consolidate individual motor elements into more complex
patterns,
> and creativity is the outcome of a race-to-threshold process which centers
> on the motor areas. Amongst the ramifications of these ideas are aspects
of
> cortical oscillations, phantom limb sensations, amyotrophic lateral
> sclerosis (ALS) the difficulty of self-tickling and mirror neurons. © 2001
> Elsevier Science Ltd. All rights reserved.
>

> "PF" <fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> news:VilQ8.705$5l4.29218 at ozemail.com.au...
> >
> > "John H." <John at overhere> wrote in message
> > news:8bZN8.282$O4.6972 at ozemail.com.au...
> >
> > Much good stuff in this post!
> >
> > The basal ganglia can IMO be viewed as a central switching-station for
> where
> > one "actention module" (of an individual's "Actention Selection System")
> > become transiently rendered "a dominant" (chapter 7 in The Learning
Brain,