Mark D. Morin mdmpsyd at
Fri Jun 28 17:21:11 EST 2002

GOGAR wrote:
> I think i just discovered that i have synesthesia, and i'm quite shocked
> that nobody else feels the way i do about letters and words..  but the more
> people i talk to about this, the more it becomes clear that i have a unique
> condition..
> But anyways.. i'm not really concerned with it because i've always been
> fine..
> Although i do recall some strange things from my childhood that i haven't
> seen documented anywhere..   so i'm wondering if there are any other people
> with the same experience.. or if it could be explained.
> When i used to lie in bed ready to go to sleep, just waiting for me to fall
> asleep..  occasionally i would get "Zapped"    as if i received a single
> electric shock..  i would see a flash of colored patterns  and hear a
> sound..   and i would be more awake again..  very irritating actually..
> I remember 1 person in high school saying he had the same..  but i have no
> contact with him anymore
> Maybe some of you know what this could be.
> Thanks in advance,
> Chris

To be honest, this doesn't sound like synesthesia. My understanding of
the term, and this may be less than accurate, is a crossing over of
sensory modalities--hearing colors, seeing sound, etc.

"How do you do Nothing?" asked Pooh. "Well, it's when people call out
at you just as you're going off to do it, `What are you going to do,
Christopher Robin?' and you say, `Oh, nothing' and then you go and do
it. It means just going along, listening to all the things you can't
hear, and not bothering."
remove peterhood69 for mail