CR vs Brain Cancer

Kenneth Collins k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 29 21:10:19 EST 2002

Tom Matthews wrote in message <3D1E1329.5020502 at morelife.org>...
>Please learn to respond "inline". That method is preferable because one can
>clearly see to what each of your responses is related, and is it also less
>possible for you to skip past some part of the previous response without
>addressing important points. Sometimes this may be unintentional and
innocent,
>but often it is deceitfully used as means of "escaping" a point that cannot
>effectively be answered.
>
>Kenneth Collins wrote:
>
>> admitting that i should've quoted what was said in the original post,
which
>> is what you said in your reply to my post, i stand on what i've posted.
>>
>> i've yet to see any experiment design that cannot be improved.
>

>Granted. But CR experiments have been done and redesigned for several
decades
>now. Many improvements have taken place during that time and many
deficiencies
>have been corrected.
>

>> it could be that something like the requirement for minimal-feeding has
the
>> 'inadvertant' effect of diminishing contamination relative to the
>> all-you-can-eat subjects' food-in-abundance that just sits-there,
absorbing
>> air-born pathogens, chemo and decay factors, etc. in the lab. anyone can
>> sense this possibility by just taking a wiff of the air in an animal lab.
>>
>> supplying minimal food, always from a relatively-fresh supply, =might=
have
>> an impact.
>>
>> it could be that there're nutrients in the food, which in small
>> concentrations, is 'good', but in larger concentrations, is 'bad'.
there're
>> many such substances. it could be that the minimal-feeding just 'hits the
>> mark' with respect to such substances.
>>
>> and it's a =certainty= that the relative-ease of being in an
all-you-can-eat
>> environment results in an artificially-imposed TD E/I-minimization
'state',

>It would help if you defined "TD E/I-minimization".

it's a long story. "TD E/I-minimization" is shorthand for "the minimizarion
of the topologically-distributed [relative] ratios of excitation to
inhibition. keying upon such allows nervous-system dynamics to be rigorously
correlated rigorously ]'mapped'] with respect to correlates in the external
environment, and simultaneously cross-correlated within the nervous system.
the underpinning rationale for such derives in the
physical-reality-permeating existence of the one-way flow of energy from
order to disorder that is what's described by 2nd Thermo [WDB2T].

i've been discussing this stuff online going back 14 years, and usually
write for folks who've been following the discussion all along ['cringing'
on behalf of others as i write. i've got an old hypertext doc that outlines
the fundamentals, and which i send to folks who want it.. runs under
Windows. about 354k. expands to about a meg. about 114 singled-spaced 8.5 x
11 pages @ 10pt.]

>> and that this 'reverberates' throughout correlated nervous systems,
>> impacting all manner of neurally-mediated processes.
>>
>> artificially-imposed relative-ease 'dulls' everything else, including
>> immune-system function [which, itself constitutes a
nervous-system-mediated
>> form of 'cognition']. could be that the all-you-can-eat rats just die
from
>> 'boredom'.
>

>These are excellent points and are all possible. Whether some of them have
been
>looked at I don't know. Perhaps Michael Rae who is much more thoroughly
familiar
>with CR research could answer that question.
>However, the CR animals have multiple mechanistic differences with the ad
lib
>fed controls (of controls are *not* ad lib fed but are on 10% restriction
just
>so that over-feeding is not a factor) which could all contribute to the
>longevity effect. Furthermore, recent studies have shown that a gene
expression
>change takes place very quickly after CR is begun, long before some of the
>processes which you have mentioned above would be likely to have an effect.
>

>> it goes =on-and-on= like this.
>>
>> because of any individual nervous system's inherent tight-integration,
>> =every= such problem is tightly-coupled to everything else that's
going-on
>> in-there.
>

>Again, I agree. Unfortunately it is not possible to do fully "placebo" CR.
>Still the effect has been so robust that it is unlikely, IMO, that any
major
>extraneous factors are the reason for its existence.
>

>> there're loose-ends aplenty.
>

> From my reading, I don't agree. There are very few of any likely
significance,
>IMO. The major one, IMO, is the fact that all animals tested so far have
rather
>short lifespans and the mechanisms of the effect may already be so much
more
>optimized in a longer lived species such as humans, that CR will not
accomplish
>much additional longevity, even though it will still be a highly beneficial
>anti-morbidity/mortality agent (ie. it will likely extend the years of
robust
>health of those practicing it except for the ones who would have lived to a
very
>old age anyway).

from my perspective, it's just that i've not yet 'found the bottom', and
want to 'campaign' on behalf of the work that remains to be accomplished.

Cheers, Tom. over and out.

ken [k. p. collins]

>> it's the essence of Science to eliminate them, in all experiments [this,
>> too, is 'just' TD E/I-minimization].
>

>Again, I don't know what you mean by the last abbreviation.
>

>--Tom
>

>> Cheers, Tom, ken [k. p. collins]
>>
>> Tom Matthews wrote in message <3D1DE589.3020802 at morelife.org>...

>>>You are confusing calorie restriction (restriction of calories *only*)
with