microwave hearing (Frey effect), especially voice modulation

Rog NOSPAMrlmvideo at hotmail.com
Sun May 12 10:12:09 EST 2002

In 35 years or more working in EMC and electromagnetics I've only
encountered two individuals that demonstrated sensitivity to RF.  One
of them was a young man (about 25) who was working at a Boeing radar
site that used to tune the feedhorn of the parabolic dish by having
his head near the feedpoint - he said he could hear the pulses inside
his head and could discern when resonance was achieved.  None of the
rest of us really wanted to try it, since the peak power was around 1
kW (this was long before OSHA guidelines etc.).  Another individual
could not be in a screen room (shielded room) when RF generators were
radiating - his tear ducts would open and out would come the
handkerchief (and him as well).  Eventually he changed occupations.

Of course nowdays there are thousands of people claiming to have
sensitivity to RF, electric and magnetic fields, but they are
undoubtedly victims of the New Age BS that proliferates on the
newstands and elsewhere.  I've done (expensive) surveys in the homes
of some of these people to prove to them that they're "safe," but they
are hard to convince, once their minds are made up.  One lady had an
entire bookshelf filled with pseudo-scientific advice on this stuff,
along with mercury fillings, flourine, Dr. Persinger and con trail
conspiracies.  They form neighborhood coalitions to ban cell-phone
towers and other forms of "EMF pollution," but I'll wager that not a
single one of them has ever picked up a text on electromagnetics, or
ever read any actual peer-reviewed medical paper discussing biological
effects of electromagnetic energy.

-Rog