Advice on combining neuroscience with filmmaking?

John H. johnh at faraway.xxx
Sun Nov 3 00:12:22 EST 2002

Maybe not what you are thinking at present Jack but it is my belief that
Neuroscience is going to very much come into the public eye over the coming
decade. I also believe it will fundamentally change the way we see
ourselves, well at least those who are willing to put in the hard yards to
see what is happening in Neuroscience.

So may I suggest Jack that you combine your skills towards an area of public
education, even as a sideline?

By the way, a friend of mine with PhD in media studies frequently plugs me
for ideas from Neuroscience regarding perception and film, how scenes are
constructed to move us emotionally etc etc. We have had some interesting
discussions in that regard but I am very poor on the perceptual side of
things. It might be something you could consider worth exploring.

Best of luck with your studies,

John H.
"Jack" <d.kelly at NO.ucl.ac.uk.SPAM> wrote in message
news:aq0upc$bfe$1 at uns-a.ucl.ac.uk...
> Hi,
>
> Please could I ask for some advice?  I'm about to graduate in Neuroscience
> but I also have a strong interest and a fair amount of practical
experience
> in filmmaking!  I'm wondering how best to merge filmmaking and
neuroscience
> into one career.
>
> The best I've come up with is to do a PhD in crossmodal perception (how
the
> brain selects and merges information from each sense into one unified
> percept of the world). This is quite a young field and a very interesting
> one. This field, I hope, could combine all my interests very neatly
> (neuroscience, philosophy, psychology, filmmaking, technology).
>
> Here's my thinking... crossmodal perception research looks at how we
> perceive the world which - it seems - is also what interests filmmakers.
So,