John Knight jwknight at polbox.com
Thu Nov 14 03:06:36 EST 2002

"Bob LeChevalier" <lojbab at lojban.org> wrote in message
news:u201tu8o4bgeiqv5fp4klemjfgb8em82cb at 4ax.com...
> "John Knight" <jwknight at polbox.com> wrote:
> >"Bob LeChevalier" <lojbab at lojban.org> wrote in message
> >news:upfusus4or25r60r82b9m0v4rdtmkbqmi1 at 4ax.com...
> >> Forgot this one:

> >> Botswana .4%
> >> South Africa .7%
> >> Zimbabwe <.3%
> >
> >Where did you get those figures?
>
> Encyclopedia Britannica Book of the Year 2002.  Those are the
> statistics for natural population increase (births-deaths) for the
> last year reported (2001 for Botswana, 2000 for the other two).
>
> >According to the US Census Bureau in the last half a century
> >http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/wp96file.html and
> >http://christianparty.net/population.htm Botswana grew from 400 million
> >1.5 billion,
>
> Look at those numbers again, please.  Botswana is a near desert
> country.  It has less than 1.6 million people.

That was supposed to be 430,000 to 1.5 million (or 1,478,000 to be precise).

This is the US Census Bureau figure. This is a 343.7% increase, which works
out to an annual growth rate of 6.87% (which is quite a bit higher than your
claim that it was less than 1%).

> >South Africa grew from 13.6 million to 41.7 million, and
> >Zimbabwe grew from 2.9 million to 11.3 million.  These are annual growth
> >rates of:
> >
> >Botswana = 6.87%
> >South Africa = 6.14%
> >Zimbabwe = 7.9%
> >
> >If you have a better source than the Census Bureau, why didn't you cite
it?

> I did have a better source and I have.
>
> lojbab

Are you suggesting that the US Census Bureau is wrong and jewcyclopedia
Britannica is right?  On what basis?

Why don't you QUOTE the exact figures and the page numbers so your reference
can be confirmed?

Even if you were right (which you evidently aren't), the growth rate in the
REST of Africa was so phenomenal that this minor, putative reduction in a
"near desert country" was totally and completely drowned out.

John Knight