Some myths concerning statistical hypothesis testing

Herman Rubin hrubin at odds.stat.purdue.edu
Thu Nov 14 08:49:36 EST 2002

In article <pan.2002.11.11.11.10.18.4650.1435 at molden_dot_net.invalid>,
Sturla Molden  <sturla at molden_dot_net.invalid> wrote:
>On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 19:33:00 +0100, Glen M. Sizemore wrote:

>>> This is where you are both wrong. The p-value is neither p(data|H0) or
>>> p(H0|data).

>> GS: You do not seem to know what you are talking about, but I am too
>> busy to respond to anything here 'til Monday.

>the p-value is p(data or more extreme data | H0)

And what relation does this have with inference about the
truth of H0?  Even more so, what does this have to do with
the appropriate action to take?  It is not that uncommon
that one should act as if H0 is correct even if it is known
to be false.
--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
Herman Rubin, Deptartment of Statistics, Purdue University