Mockingbird & Rose Bushes - RETRACTION

Kenneth 'pawl' Collins k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 18 16:26:19 EST 2002

This afternoon, I took a 'field trip' to a local mall - to do my
Christmas window-shopping.

While there, I was contemplating the 'impact' that Robert's post in
the 'Statistics' thread left 'reverberating' within me [within my
nervous system].

When I go to the mall, I just meander about - got my head 'massaged'
by a Young [and rather pleasant] Immigrant from Israel :-] She was
working at one of those little-shops that're set up in the middle of
malls' traffic. Asked her what she thought of the New England cold.
She smiled, and responded kindly, even thoug, it turned our she'd had
a lot of experience with snow.

Kindness - experiencing it was welcome.

I stopped in the pet store, and dreamed of setting all the animals
free, like I always do [they must 'engineer' the cages with such
in-mind :-]

Marvelled at the Children with their Mothers, together, enjoying the
delights of the animal's frolicking in window display.

I stopped in at a toy store, and had to ask a fellow, who turned out
to be the Manager, where the Lego [tm] computerized stuff was. He
took me across the store and showed me. [I just like to look at each
year to see what's new in it.] But I did engage the fellow in a
discussion of the differences in toys now-a-days and the toys that
were popular when I was a Child, which is huge. I explained to him
that there seems, to me, to be important stuff 'missing' from toys
now-a-days. There're very few toys that emphasize the sort of
hand-eye learning that's so important in creativity. You know, toys
that 'confront' a Child with a pile of bits and pieces, and the
challenge of making something distinct out of the pile. There're
Tinker Toys [tm] and Lincoln Logs [tm], and, of course, Legos [tm],
but where are the "Erector Sets"? And where are the "real" hand tools
that "really" work? [Gone he way of 'dangerous toy' legislation, I
expect. It's not such toys that're 'dangerous'. What's Dangerous is
the way that folks just don't get-in-there to exert guidance during a
Child's play with such Enabling 'toys'. Buy 'em the toy, and be done
with 'parenting'? Not much Promise of good-stuff in-there.

Anyway, the sorts of toys that confront Children with a pile of
pits-and-pieces are important because, when the Child plays with
them, if she/he plays them [which is where Parents have to take the
lead - to show the 'wonders' that are in-there], the Child
experiences a very special learning opportunity - one that's
applicable within all of Life. It's the stuff of learning how to
bring something that's not at all apparent into existence from
rather-indistince 'raw materials'. If a Child learns this one thing,
the Child gains experience that's universally-applicable, everywhere
in Life.

Yet, except for the examples, above, there's really a dearth of such
toys vailable to Children these days.

Instead, 'modern' toys tend, strongly, IMO, to do all the creative
stuff 'on-behalf-of' Children, which is a 'good' way to prevent the
blossoming of that universally-applicable stuff within a Child's
experience.

Too-great a cost, no?

Anyway, I wandered into a 'science' store and, there, became
fascinated by a well-designed version of one of those
'spidery-plasma-discharge' things that've been around for years.

I got lost in it, for I don't know how long - must've been at least a
half-hour.

When one touches the glass-globe, most of the plasma-'spiders'
collapse - I could see them collapsing - and most of the effect flows
in the direction of one's finger on the glass.

I looked closer, and was delighted to see that the flow from the
discharge element [the little 'ball' in the center of the globe]
exhibited an ethereal convergence - starting as a 'fog' and ending up
as a well-focused discharge-line that wiggled toward my finger's
position on the globe.

Two fingers, placed 'just right' and the wiggly-discharge line
reverberates back and forth.

It was easy to see the underpinning energy-exchange dynamics, waxing
and waining, in which the 'snapping' back and forth between my finger
tips derived.

"Why can't anybody else see this?"

It's all right-there-to-see.

I was very tempted to go to the ATM and extract the $39.95 purchase
price of the thing, so that I could 'play' with it in the dark of
tonight at home - but that'd've cost me a week's Life, so I left it
on the shelf, sayig to myself, "I'll tell the others to take a look
at thes dynamics."

Which is what I'm doing here.

Look quietly, and you'll See what's in-there.

Cheers,

ken