Bob LeChevalier lojbab at lojban.org
Thu Nov 28 02:14:44 EST 2002

"John Knight" <jwknight at polbox.com> wrote:
>"Stewart Millen" <Stewart_Millen at hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:Xns92CDC95E8CBC3StewartMillenhotmail at 130.133.1.4...
>> Simply not true. While there is some uncertainty about the
>> number of lives lost to alcohol, it is undeniably huge. The
>> figure for 100,000 lives/year in the US, and more than 1 million
>> worldwide (WHO) may, if anything, be undercount, perhaps only
>> *half* of the true total. That's because some of the countries
>> with the greatest known alcohol problems (Russia, Eastern
>> Europe, France) have some of the most unreliable statistics.
>> However, alcohol is believed to be one of the biggest reasons,
>> if not the primary one, of why Russian male life expectancy is
>> down to 57 years.
>
>Agreed that the statistics from Russia are suspect.  And the most suspect
>statistic from Russia is that Russians drink a lot of alcohol.

Yeah, they sure would want to brag about how high their alcoholism
rates are!

Nincompoop claims:
>Do you know how much a bottle of Wyborova Vodka, the most popular vodka in
>Russia, costs?  60 cents per liter.

http://geocentral.net/cgi-bin/be/searchtopic.pl?topic=vodka

indicates that the minimum price for vodka in 2000 was raised 40% to
62 rubles or $2.10 per liter, so it was a long time ago that it was
only 60 cents a liter.

Current exchange rate is 31.8 rubles to the dollar, so this is
slightly less than $2 a liter today.

>From 1999 on that site.
>Forty per cent of Russian men are alcoholics, according to figures
> disclosed from the country's Health Ministry. Alcoholism also
> afflicts 17 per cent of Russian women. The average Russian consumes
> an equivalent of 170 half litres of vodka each year

170 half litres is 85 liters which would cost $170, or a little less
than $15/mo.

Nincompoop claims:
>That might not sound like much, but
>when you realize that a family of four in Russia earns only $10.00 per
>month, you have to appreciate that they just can't afford to drink that
>much.

You are more full of sh** than my Thanksgiving turkey.  You are off by
an order of magnitude.

http://www.worldbank.org.ru/eng/statistics/ereports/05_02/ereport8.htm

http://www.hmao.wsnet.ru/english/sociumE/social/socsf1.htm

http://www.russianamericanchamber.org/newsletter/small_private_business.html

http://www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/6321-2.cfm

>The average nominal monthly wage due in May was 4,234 rubles, up 38.6%
> year-on-year and 0.3% from the previous month.

Thus the average salary seems to be around $100-$130 per month, and
the poverty level is considered to be around $40-50 per month, which
is between 20-30% of the population.

Nincompoop claims:

http://www.nyu.edu/odae/russianfact.html
>The World Health Organization considers an average per capita
> consumption of the equivalent of 8 liters of pure alcohol a year to
> be a sign of a country with a dangerous level of alcohol consumption.
> Russian consumption is currently in the range of 13 to 14 liters
> annually. (TIME magazine, August 11, 1997 article)

http://www.eurocare.org/profiles/germany01.htm#anchor24643042

Indicates that Germany runs around 12 litres per year, but used to be
as high as Russia.

>Germans also have a longer life expectancy than we do,

No, actually it is almost exactly the same.  74.4 years for German
men, 74.8 years for American men, 80.4 years for German women, 79.9
years for American women.

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/gallery/epidemiology/spc96.htm
>Source: Williams, G.D., Stinson, F.S., Sanchez, L.L., and Dufour, M.C.
> Surveillance Report #47: Apparent Per Capita Alcohol Consumption:
> National State, and Regional Trends, 1977-1996. Rockville, MD: NIAAA,
> Division of Biometry and Epidemiology, Alcohol Epidemiologic Data
> System, December 1998. U.S. Average = 2.19 Gallons of Ethanol

That's around 8 litres per year, which is lower than Germany but still
high enough to cause significant problems.

Nincompoop says:
>so if there's a
>relationship between alcohol and life expectancy, it's a proportional
>relationship.

The lowest alcohol consumption in Europe is in Sweden, which has the
highest life expectancy (over 77 years for men, over 81 years for
women).

Nincompoop says:
>And we have a 45% higher fatal accident rate than they do.

http://www.bast.de/htdocs/fachthemen/irtad/utility/p73.pdf

indicates that Germany has a noticeably higher rate of traffic deaths
per billion kilometres traveled than the US.

Nincompoop manages to make an error in every single statement  of
alleged "fact" that he makes in this post.  Nincompoop is beyond hope.

lojbab