John Knight jwknight at polbox.com
Fri Nov 29 21:09:21 EST 2002

"Bob LeChevalier" <lojbab at lojban.org> wrote in message
news:n9cbuu07mmvpb2c0jn11o5v06p9kejkmn1 at 4ax.com...
> "John Knight" <jwknight at polbox.com> wrote:
> >"Stewart Millen" <Stewart_Millen at hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >news:Xns92CDC95E8CBC3StewartMillenhotmail at 130.133.1.4...
> >> Simply not true. While there is some uncertainty about the
> >> number of lives lost to alcohol, it is undeniably huge. The
> >> figure for 100,000 lives/year in the US, and more than 1 million
> >> worldwide (WHO) may, if anything, be undercount, perhaps only
> >> *half* of the true total. That's because some of the countries
> >> with the greatest known alcohol problems (Russia, Eastern
> >> Europe, France) have some of the most unreliable statistics.
> >> However, alcohol is believed to be one of the biggest reasons,
> >> if not the primary one, of why Russian male life expectancy is
> >> down to 57 years.
> >
> >Agreed that the statistics from Russia are suspect.  And the most suspect
> >statistic from Russia is that Russians drink a lot of alcohol.
>
> Yeah, they sure would want to brag about how high their alcoholism
> rates are!

For one thing, Russians don't have the kind of paranoia about what people
think of how much they drink which so many "liberal" "Americans" seem to
have.  They have a more responsible attitude about drinking, similar to that
in Germany or France.

Secondly, the comment wasn't based at all on what they SAY, but on direct
observations.  At least half of what we read about Russia in our "news
media" is completely fabricated, and this is one of the smallest LIES about
Russians.

> Nincompoop claims:
> >Do you know how much a bottle of Wyborova Vodka, the most popular vodka
in
> >Russia, costs?  60 cents per liter.
>
> http://geocentral.net/cgi-bin/be/searchtopic.pl?topic=vodka
>
> indicates that the minimum price for vodka in 2000 was raised 40% to
> 62 rubles or $2.10 per liter, so it was a long time ago that it was
> only 60 cents a liter.
>
> Current exchange rate is 31.8 rubles to the dollar, so this is
> slightly less than $2 a liter today.

This of course wouldn't be the first time I've seen our statistics about
Russia being turned almost completely inside out.  My recent direct
observation disputes this figure.

> From 1999 on that site.
> >Forty per cent of Russian men are alcoholics, according to figures
> > disclosed from the country's Health Ministry. Alcoholism also
> > afflicts 17 per cent of Russian women. The average Russian consumes
> > an equivalent of 170 half litres of vodka each year
>
> 170 half litres is 85 liters which would cost $170, or a little less
> than $15/mo.

When you finally realize that a Russian family of four earns only $10 per
month, then you will realize that this is an impossible figure.  Even if
only 2 of the 4 members of a family consumed $15 per month in just vodka
(and they drink a lot more than just vodka), this is $30 per month, which is
three TIMES their actual monthly income.

> Nincompoop claims:
> >That might not sound like much, but
> >when you realize that a family of four in Russia earns only $10.00 per
> >month, you have to appreciate that they just can't afford to drink that
> >much.
>
> You are more full of sh** than my Thanksgiving turkey.  You are off by
> an order of magnitude.
>
> http://www.worldbank.org.ru/eng/statistics/ereports/05_02/ereport8.htm

Do you know what the CIA estimated Russia's GDP to be BEFORE my first visit
to Russia?  $2 trillion.

Do you know what I discovered the ACTUAL average monthly income to be in
Russia?  TEN DOLLARS.

With only 50 million workers in Russia, this is a GDP of AT MOST $6 billion.

THE CIA WAS OFF BY THREE HUNDRED AND THIRTY THREE TIMES (333 X).

And they still estimate it to be $1.2 trillion, and Russians STILL earn only
$10 per month.
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/rs.html#Econ

There's a HUGE difference between our "official" statistics of Russia--and
reality.

http://www.russianamericanchamber.org/newsletter/small_private_business.html

> >There is presently not a lot of consumer income. Entrepreneurs have
> > been forced to keep prices low. Prices for consumer goods are about
> > same size as in the West. Payments for housing and medical insurance
> > are lower. Salaries are lower. The average monthly income per person
> > in St. Petersburg in 1997 was $105. The average salary in St.
> > Petersburg is about $230-250.
>
> http://www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/6321-2.cfm
>
> >The average nominal monthly wage due in May was 4,234 rubles, up 38.6%
> > year-on-year and 0.3% from the previous month.
>
> Thus the average salary seems to be around $100-$130 per month, and
> the poverty level is considered to be around $40-50 per month, which
> is between 20-30% of the population.

Even if you were to include Russia's underground economy, which may be
bigger than their "official" economy, you would get nowhere CLOSE to this
figure.  This figure is closer to their annual income, rather than their
monthly income.

> Nincompoop claims:
> >Conversely, the Germans CAN afford to drink a LOT of alcohol, and they
do.
> >Germans consume much more alcohol than Russians, and 45% more than we do,
> >per capita
>
> http://www.nyu.edu/odae/russianfact.html
> >The World Health Organization considers an average per capita
> > consumption of the equivalent of 8 liters of pure alcohol a year to
> > be a sign of a country with a dangerous level of alcohol consumption.
> > Russian consumption is currently in the range of 13 to 14 liters
> > annually. (TIME magazine, August 11, 1997 article)
>
> http://www.eurocare.org/profiles/germany01.htm#anchor24643042
>
> Indicates that Germany runs around 12 litres per year, but used to be
> as high as Russia.

Your "statistics" are all over the map.  Which do you believe is correct?
85 liters per year as noted in your first reference, or the 14 liters noted
in your second one?

Even you "liberals" must suspect something is fishy when the "official"
statistics for Russia's alcohol consumption vary by SIX TIMES, from 14 to 85
liters, eh?

Again, my direct personal observation completely contradicts BOTH of these
"official" figures--AND Russians can't possibly afford to spend this much
JUST for alcohol.

Even so, even IF we were to accept the jew LIES in our "news" media 100% at
face value, the entire original POINT is that alcohol consumption could not
possibly be the source of Russia's health problem.

Even IF you were to believe that Russians could even AFFORD to consume 14
liters of alcohol per year, this is only 17% more than Germany.  Do you
REALLY think that this could shorten their life expectancy by 17 years?

If you do, then you must believe that all Frenchmen are dead, because their
average alcohol consumption is 22.6 liters per year, which is almost TWICE
as high as Russia's?
http://christianparty.net/alcoholconsumption.htm

> >Germans also have a longer life expectancy than we do,
>
> No, actually it is almost exactly the same.  74.4 years for German
> men, 74.8 years for American men, 80.4 years for German women, 79.9
> years for American women.

And France consumes more alcohol per capita than Germany, yet has an even
longer life expectancy than Germany.

Certainly even you "liberals" must question a statement that "8 liters of
pure alcohol a year [is] a sign of a country with a dangerous level of
alcohol consumption", when almost every European country consumes more
alcohol than that, AND has a longer life expectancy than we do?

Australia consumes 11.8 liters per year yet their men have a four year
longer life expectancy than ours (77.2 years versus 73).  Switzerland
consumes 13 liters and their men have a 3 year longer life expectancy (76
versus 73).  Italy consumes 15 liters and their men have a 2 1/2 year longer
life expectancy (75.4 vs. 73).

At the other end of the spectrum, Thailand consumes only .6 liters--and
their men have an even shorter life expectancy than American men (65.6 vs
73).  And Peru consumes only 1.2 liters and a 5 year shorter life
expectancy.  Paraguay consumes only 2 liters, and has a 2 1/2 year shorter
life expectancy.

> http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/gallery/epidemiology/spc96.htm
> >Source: Williams, G.D., Stinson, F.S., Sanchez, L.L., and Dufour, M.C.
> > Surveillance Report #47: Apparent Per Capita Alcohol Consumption:
> > National State, and Regional Trends, 1977-1996. Rockville, MD: NIAAA,
> > Division of Biometry and Epidemiology, Alcohol Epidemiologic Data
> > System, December 1998. U.S. Average = 2.19 Gallons of Ethanol
>
> That's around 8 litres per year, which is lower than Germany but still
> high enough to cause significant problems.
>

> Nincompoop says:
> >so if there's a
> >relationship between alcohol and life expectancy, it's a proportional
> >relationship.
>
> The lowest alcohol consumption in Europe is in Sweden, which has the
> highest life expectancy (over 77 years for men, over 81 years for
> women).

This is about the only exception to the rule that the greater the per capita
consumption of alcohol in Europe, the longer the life expectancy.
http://christianparty.net/lifeexpectancy.htm [and I also don't believe this
figure anyway, because my direct observations suggest that Swedes drink much
more alcohol than Russians].

> Nincompoop says:
> >And we have a 45% higher fatal accident rate than they do.
>
> http://www.bast.de/htdocs/fachthemen/irtad/utility/p73.pdf
>
> indicates that Germany has a noticeably higher rate of traffic deaths
> per billion kilometres traveled than the US.
>
> Nincompoop manages to make an error in every single statement  of
> alleged "fact" that he makes in this post.  Nincompoop is beyond hope.
>
> lojbab

The US Statistical Abstract, Table 1353, Death Rates, by Cause and Country,
shows that Germany's death rate per 100,000 population due to auto accidents
is only 10.7, compared to ours at 15.6.

The real measure of a nation's traffic safety record isn't the number of
miles it drives, but how effective traffic planning is at reducing the
overall rate at which its citizens die on the roads and highways.  The
simple fact that our MVFR RATE is 46% higher than Germany's, 67% higher than
Australia's, 20% higher than Austria's, 53% higher than Denmark's, and 86%
higher than Switzerland's http://christianparty.net/mvfr.htm, even though
each of those countries consumes a considerably larger amount of alcohol per
capita, is all the proof you need that this bogus argument about alcohol
KILLING people is DEAD WRONG.

Handled properly and responsibly, drinking alcohol SAVES LOTS of lives, and
this data is just the TIP of the iceberg.

John Knight