Sundowning: severe dementia and bringing on the night (corticosterone increases aggression in the rat)

Wed Apr 2 13:32:40 EST 2003

Hi John.

This stuff is 'just' one 'superficial' observable with respect to
underpinning global-system TD E/I - "Corticosterone fluctuations"
[and everything else that happens within nervous systems] 'rides' TD
E/I.

That is, TD E/I is the base-'language' of nervous systems, and
everything else is 'just' "functionally-multiplexed" stuff [AoK, Ap9]
through which TD E/I-minimization is optimized in rigorous
inverse-accord with the one-way flow of energy from order to disorder
that is what's described by 2nd Thermo [WDB2T].

Through TD E/I-minimization, nervous systems converge upon cognition,
affect, and behavior that 'climbs' the WDB2T energy-gradient, which
is functional because 'climbing' the WDB2T energy-gradient enables
Life to 'move toward' increasing energy abundance.

The 'tragic flaw' [AoK, Ap4], inherent, is that the correlated
information-processing tends to be 'blind' to the fact that what
constitutes the WDB2T energy-gradient occurs as a function of
experience - tends to be 'blind' to the fact that behaviors coverged
upon within relatively-mutually-exclusive experience tend to,
themselves, 'interfere' with nervous systems' abilities to 'discern'
directionalities within the overall WDB2T energy-gradient.

The solution to this 'tragic flaw' problem is to experience =widely=.

When this's done, to the degree that it is done, directionality
within the overall WDB2T energy-gradient becomes discernable.

Which is how I know that "Corticosterone fluctuations" [and
everything else that happens within nervous systems] 'rides' TD E/I
:-]

Cheers, John.

ken collins

news:oLCia.311$an3.12677 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...

haller at koki.hu

| Ultradian fluctuations in plasma glucocorticoids have been
demonstrated in a
| variety of species including humans. The significance of such
rhythms is
| poorly known, although disorganized ultradian glucocorticoid
rhythms have
| been associated with behavioural disorders. Here we report that
ultradian
| glucocorticoid rhythms may establish the propensity to behave
aggressively
| in male rats. Male rats were significantly more aggressive in the
increasing
| phase of their corticosterone fluctuation when confronting a male
intruder
| than counterparts in the decreasing phase of their corticosterone
| fluctuations facing such opponents. Corticosterone fluctuations
were
| mimicked by a combination of treatments with the corticosterone
synthesis
| inhibitor metyrapone and corticosterone. Again, males with
increased plasma
| corticosterone levels were more aggressive than counterparts with a
| decreased plasma corticosterone concentration. These data suggest
that the
| behavioural response to an aggressive challenge may vary in the
same animal
| across the day due to the pulsating nature of corticosterone
secretion.
| Aggressive behaviour is also episodic in humans; moreover,
intermittent
| explosive behaviour is recognized as a psychological disorder. It
can be
| hypothesized that a temporal coincidence between the occurrence of
| challenge and a surge in plasma corticosterone concentration may be
one of
| the factors that promote episodic aggressive outbursts.
|
| PMID: 11012834 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
|
| "Dag Stenberg" <dag.stenberg at nospam.helsinki.fi.invalid> wrote in
message
| news:b6egod$62b$1 at oravannahka.helsinki.fi...
| > In bionet.neuroscience BilZ0r <BilZ0r at takethisouthotmail.com>
wrote:
| > (About Ken P Collins' AoK)
| > > I've been idling in the newgroup for some time, and I keep
seeing you
| use
| > > this terminology. (TD E/I, AoK, Ap8).  I'm a pharmacologist,
(although
| I've
| > > done a lot of neurosciency papers) and I'm just bout to start
my
| masters,
| > > but I've never come across those ... Acronyms? Are they
standard or just
| > > something you made up?
| >
| > These are KPC:s abbreviations of a theory he designed himself.
The AoK