Sundowning: severe dementia and bringing on the night (corticosterone increases aggression in the rat)

Wed Apr 2 21:22:59 EST 2003

Please elaborate [and don't 'beat around the bush' - go directly for
the heart of the matter].

ken

"John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
news:EqKia.34$Ju4.1397 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
| I suggest you start rehearsing Hegel's lament.
|

| John.
| news:c1Gia.10832$cO3.692478 at bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
| > Hi John.
| >
| > This stuff is 'just' one 'superficial' observable with respect to
| > underpinning global-system TD E/I - "Corticosterone fluctuations"
| > [and everything else that happens within nervous systems] 'rides'
TD
| > E/I.
| >
| > That is, TD E/I is the base-'language' of nervous systems, and
| > everything else is 'just' "functionally-multiplexed" stuff [AoK,
Ap9]
| > through which TD E/I-minimization is optimized in rigorous
| > inverse-accord with the one-way flow of energy from order to
disorder
| > that is what's described by 2nd Thermo [WDB2T].
| >
| > Through TD E/I-minimization, nervous systems converge upon
cognition,
| > affect, and behavior that 'climbs' the WDB2T energy-gradient,
which
| > is functional because 'climbing' the WDB2T energy-gradient
enables
| > Life to 'move toward' increasing energy abundance.
| >
| > The 'tragic flaw' [AoK, Ap4], inherent, is that the correlated
| > information-processing tends to be 'blind' to the fact that what
| > constitutes the WDB2T energy-gradient occurs as a function of
| > experience - tends to be 'blind' to the fact that behaviors
coverged
| > upon within relatively-mutually-exclusive experience tend to,
| > themselves, 'interfere' with nervous systems' abilities to
'discern'
| > directionalities within the overall WDB2T energy-gradient.
| >
| > The solution to this 'tragic flaw' problem is to experience
=widely=.

| > When this's done, to the degree that it is done, directionality
| > within the overall WDB2T energy-gradient becomes discernable.
| >
| > Which is how I know that "Corticosterone fluctuations" [and
| > everything else that happens within nervous systems] 'rides' TD
E/I
| > :-]
| >
| > Cheers, John.
| >
| > ken collins
| >
| > "John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote in message
| > news:oLCia.311$an3.12677 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
| > | 3/04/03 12:46am
| > |
| > | J Neuroendocrinol 2000 Oct;12(10):937-40Related Articles,
Ultradian
| > | corticosterone rhythm and the propensity to behave aggressively
in
| > male
| > | rats.
| > |
| > | Haller J, Halasz J, Mikics E, Kruk MR, Makara GB.
| > |
| > | Institute of Experimental Medicine, Budapest, Hungary.
| > haller at koki.hu
| > |
| > | Ultradian fluctuations in plasma glucocorticoids have been
| > demonstrated in a
| > | variety of species including humans. The significance of such
| > rhythms is
| > | poorly known, although disorganized ultradian glucocorticoid
| > rhythms have
| > | been associated with behavioural disorders. Here we report that
| > ultradian
| > | glucocorticoid rhythms may establish the propensity to behave
| > aggressively
| > | in male rats. Male rats were significantly more aggressive in
the
| > increasing
| > | phase of their corticosterone fluctuation when confronting a
male
| > intruder
| > | than counterparts in the decreasing phase of their
corticosterone
| > | fluctuations facing such opponents. Corticosterone fluctuations
| > were
| > | mimicked by a combination of treatments with the corticosterone
| > synthesis
| > | inhibitor metyrapone and corticosterone. Again, males with
| > increased plasma
| > | corticosterone levels were more aggressive than counterparts
with a
| > | decreased plasma corticosterone concentration. These data
suggest
| > that the
| > | behavioural response to an aggressive challenge may vary in the
| > same animal
| > | across the day due to the pulsating nature of corticosterone
| > secretion.
| > | Aggressive behaviour is also episodic in humans; moreover,
| > intermittent
| > | explosive behaviour is recognized as a psychological disorder.
It
| > can be
| > | hypothesized that a temporal coincidence between the occurrence
of
| > | challenge and a surge in plasma corticosterone concentration
may be
| > one of
| > | the factors that promote episodic aggressive outbursts.
| > |
| > | PMID: 11012834 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
| > |
| > | "Dag Stenberg" <dag.stenberg at nospam.helsinki.fi.invalid> wrote
in
| > message