Basic Neuron Questions

BilZ0r BilZ0r at TAKETHISOUThotmail.com
Mon Apr 7 00:38:57 EST 2003

>| Yes there is, Its defined by the time it takes for the potassium
> channels
>| to be available for opening again.
>
> That this or that is "defined" to be tat or this does not make this
> or that that or this.

Actaully its sodium channels, I've been feeling like an idiot all day,
was at work and couldn't correct myself.

Theres a "conseptualization" thats wrong. If I define something as
something, that is the only thing I can be sure that it is.
X=2, now I know that X=2.

> The =only= "absolute" that exists within Living nervous systems is
> that their functioning rigorously conforms to WDB2T.

the absolute refractory period isn't called absolute becasue we know
exactly what it is. Its called that to outline the different between it
and the relative refractory period.

> The rest is dynamic as a function of experience. No neuron is ever in
> the same 'state' twice because all neurons undergo microscopic
> trophic modifications as a result of the activation that acctually
> occurs within them, and the rest of the neural structure in which
> they are embedded - all the way up to the nervous system as a whole.
>
> Such feeds-back into the ionic concentration gradients which
> determine the stuff that you were non-existent-ideal-case
> short-shrifting, with the result that the 'ideal case' is total
> fiction.e
>
>| > [...]
>| > Within Living nervous systems, there exists
>| > no such thing as "normal" levels of stimulation.
>|
>| What? Yes there are. look at any monosynaptic
>| nevous pathway.
>
> As above, there exists no such thing as a neuron whose energydynamics
> occur as the sole result of synaptic 'events' - the synaptic
> 'events', themselves, occur as a function of whole-nervous-system
> energydynamics.
>
> If it were as you say, to the degree it were so, the 'nervous system'
> in question would be a non-learning automaton.

The normal level of stimulation. The level at which is would normal fire
an AP at. The threshold of activation. Call it whatever you want, if you
want to argue that there is no such thing, you're going against what
everybody bar you thinks.

>| What I can't say how fast a action potentialtravels?
>| Lol. Not exactly, but I can give the accepted range.
>
> It's like I said, OK at an introductory 'level', but totally useless
> if one actually wants to comprehend how nervous systems work.
> Clearly, if it's "bionet.neuroscience", we're beyond the former, and
> interested in the latter.

I don't think the poster was interesting in comprehending the nervous
system as a whole. He wanted to know how far a AP travel during the
absolute refractory period, so I told him.