Basic Neuron Questions

Dag Stenberg dag.stenberg at nospam.helsinki.fi.invalid
Mon Apr 7 15:08:01 EST 2003

Neo <neo55592 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, my question was in context to neurons in the cerebral cortex.
> I wanted to know if a signal from a neuron could theoretically travel
> to all other neurons in the cerebral cortext within the refractory
> period.

I wonder if that would really happen. Cerebral cortex is hierarchical in
a higher degree than known before. Consider the visual cortices, for
instance.

> Also, in the cerebral cortex, how common is it for a neuron in a chain
> to loop back to the 2nd neuron prior to itself? Suppose N1 -> N2 -> N3
> -> N4. Does N3 commonly connect back to N1, does N4 commonly connect
> back to N2, etc.

I do not think that is a normal operation in the cortex at all.
Rather than looking for reverberation I would concentrate on the
coincidental input stimuli that might cause a certain neuron to fire in
one situation, and not fire in another.

Dag Stenberg