Basic Neuron Questions

Sat Apr 12 20:46:24 EST 2003

Hi Didier.

"Didier A. Depireux" <didier at tango.isr.umd.edu> wrote in message
news:b79jlr$c5a$1 at grapevine.wam.umd.edu...
| r norman <rsnorman_ at _comcast.net> wrote:
| > On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:44:25 +0000 (UTC), "Didier A. Depireux"
| > <didier at rai.isr.umd.edu> wrote:
|
| > [...]
| > Certainly there are specific cases
| > where timing of nerve activity,
| > even to the sub-millisecond level, is critical.
|
| That is true, and typically it's periferal.
| For instance, fibers of the auditory nerve
| can code pure tones' phase up to about
| 2 kHz (more or less depending on who
| you read). This implies an accuracy in
| firing time in the 100 microsec range.
| By the time you get to cortex, though
| (which I thought was the original question),
| things are a lot more sluggish and noisy.
| Present the same stimulus 20 times and
| you will never get 20 times the same
| response, in most parts of cortex.

The same thing never happens in the [global] nervous system twice
because mocroscopic trophic modifications occur as a result of the
activation that occurs within nervous systems. Via ongoing
convergence upon TD E/I-minimization the global system is =always=
'learning' - analyses must converge upon rigor with respect to such.
When this is accomplished, the cortical activation differentials that
you point out will become a [the?] primary means of describing the
underpinning "micro-mods" - that is, activation differentials will be
referred back to neural Topology differentials [including the
"supersystem configuration" dynamics that are discussed in AoK, Ap5].

Cheers, Didier, ken