Sat Apr 12 21:18:46 EST 2003

Three articles from Today's New York Times are discussed in this post/

[All quotes [blue] © 2003, by The New York Times.]

1. The pressing need:

"U.S. Troops Move to Restore Order in Edgy Baghdad", By DEXTER FILKINS and JOHN KIFNER

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/12/international/worldspecial/12CND-MARI.html

"Mr. Hussein, who was born in the nearby village of Awaja, drew heavily on his tribal bonds in running the Iraqi regime. In Iraqi society, tribal ties are regarded as a nearly unbreakable bond of loyalty."

The "behavioral inertia" [AoK, Ap5] of "tribal bonds" derives in 'blindly'-autoated TD E/I-minimization and, as the next article demonstrates, is not restricted to Iraq'a 'tribes'. Any relatively-mutually-exclusive experiential environment results in experientially-in-bred ["incestually-amplified"] TD E/I-minimization dynamics which converge upon their commensurately-in-bred relatively-mutually-exclusive "behavioral inertias".

All of "man's inhumanity to man" derives in the absence-of-understanding that has prevailed with respect to the above.

This's why the problem inherent constitutes the most-pressing need.

2. The details of the problem:

"Shuttle Panel Considers Longstanding Flaws in NASA's System", By JOHN SCHWARTZ with MATTHEW L. WALD

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/13/national/nationalspecial/13SHUT.html

"To Professor Vaughan, Mr. Dittemore's assessment seemed evidence of something all too familiar: NASA management's `incremental descent into poor judgment.`"

'Blindly'-automated TD E/I-minimization that 'short-cuts' Truth.

"She said she did not think that in either accident people had necessarily done their jobs improperly or violated NASA procedures. Rather, Ms. Vaughan said she saw a flawed culture in which most participants gradually demoted their concerns, causing major problems to devolve into lower-level issues."

'Blindly'-automated TD E/I-minimization that 'short-cuts' Truth.

"As she wrote of Challenger workers in her book: "Following rules, doing their jobs, they made a mistake. With all procedural systems for risk assessment in place, they made a disastrous decision.`"

'Blindly'-automated TD E/I-minimization that 'short-cuts' Truth.

"Once officials in the rocket booster program, including Lawrence Mulloy, the project leader, left NASA, the problem was treated as solved."

'Blindly'-automated TD E/I-minimization that 'short-cuts' Truth.

"In NASA's case, she said, one such problem is budgetary. In her opinion the agency does not have enough money to do its job over the long run without cutting corners."

'Blindly'-automated TD E/I-minimization that 'short-cuts' Truth.

"After the hearings, he explained why the board was taking this approach. "We have to have a better working theory than hindsight," he said."

Seeking stuff that's better than 'blindly'-automated TD E/I-minimization that 'short-cuts' Truth.

"Professor Vaughan, looking at the chain of events now, said that the seemingly hard numbers of the Boeing analysis appeared at the time to trump the gut feelings of the engineers."

'Blindly'-automated TD E/I-minimization that 'short-cuts' Truth pointed to by "gut feelings".

"prevention, not punishment"

The solution begins to take form within a "prefrontal volitional constellation" [AoK. Ap7 - the need for Forgiveness [AoK, Ap8] that's built right into nervous systems because they cannot see around the bend within experience until they've made it round the bend of experience - but, then, they can see, and must do the work inherent in lifting behavior up above 'blindly'-automated TD E/I-minimization that 'short-cuts' Truth.].

"If - and this is a big if, with big capital letters in red - if the cause of the Columbia accident is the acceptance of debris falling off the tank in ascent, and impacting on the orbiter, and causing damage to the tiles - if that turns out to be the cause of the accident, then the lesson we learned in Challenger is forgotten, if it was ever learned."

'Blindly'-automated TD E/I-minimization that 'short-cuts' Truth.

3. The solution:

"Quebec Seeks to Ease Divisiveness", By CLIFFORD KRAUSS

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/13/international/americas/13QUEB.html

"Being bilingual became cool."

"There's still a gulf, but there's more of a gray zone between the two solitudes," said Antonia Maioni, director of McGill University's Institute for the Study of Canada, referring to Hugh MacLennan's 1945 novel "Two Solitudes," one of many that have probed Montreal's historic divide."

"Now that we have saved the culture, we don't need independence," said Pierre Bourque, a former Montreal mayor and a former separatist who is now campaigning in French, English and Spanish for a seat in the assembly from east Montreal on a platform that promises to put off more referendums indefinitely."

"The growing acceptance by English speakers of laws that protect the supremacy of French has helped make peace."

"The signs of adaptation are everywhere in this city. Once a city that spoke English west of St. Lawrence Boulevard and French east of Boulevard St. Laurent, Montreal is increasingly becoming a city of linguistically mixed neighborhoods. The mélange includes not only English and French but also a dozen or so immigrant languages. Conversations go back and forth in English and French from the traditional French cafes on Rue St. Denis to Schwartz's delicatessen on St. Laurent."

I think what's happening in Quebec is that folks're coming to understand NDT's stuff - nes pas?

Their experience is a model for Humanity's going into its Future.

K. P. Collins