Basic Neuron Questions

Didier A. Depireux didier at rai.isr.umd.edu
Mon Apr 14 09:37:11 EST 2003

John H. <johnh at faraway.xxx> wrote:

> "r norman" <rsnorman_ at _comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:hbkh9v00qj930tp37c83lbc24828o14dq5 at 4ax.com...
>> I particularly like your observation that replications almost never
>> produce the same results.  That is the thing that drives my physicist
>> colleagues absolutely bonkers.  They really don't get why biology
>> is"so hard." They insist it is because we don't know how to do the
>> experiments properly!

You can tell them about the hidden variable models of neuronal firing. That
should remind them of quantum mechanics! Look at stuff like
www.dam.brown.edu/people/geman/ Papers/poisson_final.pdf
for references (there are many others, like Mumford, who think about 'hidden
variables' in the brain).

						Didier

Didier A Depireux         ddepi001 at umaryland.edu  didier at isr.umd.edu
685 W.Baltimore Str      http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm
Anatomy and Neurobiology                      Phone: 410-706-1272 (off)
University of Maryland                                      -1273 (lab)
Baltimore MD 21201 USA                             Fax: 1-410-706-2512