Electric Field Effects in the Brain?

yan king yin y.k.y at lycos.com
Fri Apr 18 22:26:19 EST 2003

Inside the brain there are ubiquitous fluctuations of
electric fields of magnitude ~100mV, due to nerve impulses.
Most of the standard connectionist models of the brain
do not take this effect into account. Is this some noise
that can be ignored?

I think one way to know the extent of the significance
of this E field is to induce some random ~100mV E fields
externally from the scalp, and see if they wreck the
mind =)

Can anyone point me to some references or facts...

Thanks,
YKY

P.S. Personally I know of 2 instances. One is the
"ephatic coupling" of parallel nerve fibers that tends
to synchronize nerve impulses. Second is the effect of
E fields on growth cone dynamics. Both of these theories
are not very mainstream it seems.