Electric Field Effects in the Brain?

Sat Apr 19 11:43:02 EST 2003

Hi Christian.

I stand on what I posted - more discussion below.

"Christian Wilms" <usenet at out-of-phase.de> wrote in message
news:1ftnzle.63q6jc1g9kgicN%usenet at out-of-phase.de...
| KP-PC <k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net%remove%> wrote:
|
| > fMRI uses [E]M to [with a lot of help from
| > computers] 'read' neural activation dynamics,
| > so it's easy to see that fields do interact with
| > the neural tissue.
|
| This is simply wrong.

I stand on what I posted.

| fMRI uses magnetic fields in the range of several
| Tesla - far from any field occuring in the body.

I did so in its "ECT" [electrocunvulsive 'therapy'] portion, but with
respect to what you've quoted from my prior post, [most of which
you've deleted without giving indication] I said nothing about the
intensity of magnetic fields, nor the relationship between such and
naturally-occurring in vivo EM intensities.

The entirety of my discussion was with specific respect to
differentiation between the detailed in vivo neural Topology and the
non-Topologically-detailed external applications of EM. My entire
'point' was with respect to the fact that the external fields cannot
'hook-up' with the neural tissue unless they do 'address' the
energydynamics inherent in the detailed neural Topology. Without such
tetailed topological coincidence, externally-applied energy is as a
wave that passes through, effecting almost everything in almost the
same way. [Here, the "almosts" are necessary because individual in
vivo 'atomic', 'ionic', and 'molecular' energydynamics are 'normally'
not globally sychronized - so there'll be some phase-phase
differentiation within any effect that's observed.]

| This field aligns the nuclei of certain atoms
| (the[y] have to be what is called NMR active).

The read-out is subsequently via radio-wave signals that are produced
when the external-field-coersed abnormal spin-synchronized 'state'
collapses, which is also oblivious to [doesn't hook up with] the
detailed neural Topology because it occurs en masse, which is
=radically= different from what happens in vivo. That computer
analysis of the fMRI radio signal can produce an image of the neural
Topology, again, derives in the "almosts". It's oblivious to =almost
all= of the energydynamics that actually occur in vivo. [Note well,
I'm =not= 'discounting' the worth of fMRI or any other scanning
technique. In this and my prior post in this thread, I'm only
discussing Necessity with respect to 'hooking-up' to the detailed
neural energydynamics Topology, with specific respect to the concerns
posted by the questioner.]

| This has no influence on the chemical nature of the
| involved molecules and definetly no influence
| on the neurons.

I stand on what I posted. You just didn't get what I posted, have
fabricated your own [False] "finitization" [AoK, Ap4] with respect to
what I posted, and have 'accused' me of having posted what's in your
False "finitization" with respect to what I posted. I did not post
what you say I posted. I'm innocent of your charges :-]

| What fMRI 'reads' is the level of blood oxygenation
| (the so called BOLD signal), which is believed to be
| correlated with the activity of the brain.

Because "blood oxygenation" is coupled to neural activation, it's a
'window' upon the =gross= neural energydynamics. So, your point,
above, is also False - there is "influence on the neurons", it just
doesn't occur in the neural-energydynamics-topologically-detailed way
that 'normally' occurs in vivo, and which is necessary if applied
external fields are to actually hook-up in any byt gross
information-processing-relevant ways. fMRI [and other existing
scanning techniques] do stuff analogous to 'skiming' the text of a
book rather than 'reading' and studying it - so they 'skip' [are
oblivious to]  almost everything that's actually going on within the
'normal' neural-topologically-distributed energydynamics that occur
in vivo.

| This is done by monitoring a change in the magnetic
| resonance of hemoglobin when it is oxygenated
| compared to it's non-oxygenated form.

Which, again, is coupled to neural activation [in a gross,
non-topologically-detailed] way.

| I'm no MR-physicist so I can't go into more detail here.

Nor am I. But I know the detailed neuro-topologically-distributed
energydynamics, and have been discussing from that perspective..

| Basically magnetic fields can alter processes
| in the brain - transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS)
| would be a keyword to look up in this connection.
| I am not familiar with the details of this method, but
| it appears, that strong magnetic fields are applied
| very focused directly on the surface of the skull.
|[...]

I'm not familiar with 'TMS' either, but am familiar with the detailed
neural-topologically-distributed energydynamics, so I'm certain that
much of my discussion must apply to it also.

There's no way around the detailed neural-topologically-distributed
energydynamics. They are, fundamentally, where everything happens
within brains - skip them, and one skips almost everything that's
going on in-there.

This was the main 'point' of my prior post in this thread.

Cheers, Christian, ken [K. P. Collins]