Electric Field Effects in the Brain?

Sat Apr 19 15:28:36 EST 2003

Most of why the position I'm discussing in this thread is 'difficult'
for folks who work in Neuroscience labs derives in the fact that they
work in artificially-spearated preparations - cultured neurons,
slices, etc.

All such in vitro preparations are relatively-free of practically all
of the 3-D neruo-topological constraints which exist in vivo.

Remove practically all constraints, and all that one sees is
practically nothing.

It's long been a Sorrow of mine that such
artificially-freed-of-constraint stuff is deemed to 'disclose
everything' that occurs in vivo.

It doesn't.

It 'discloses' only artificial stereotypical stuff that's not
actually coupled to anything, never mind, with respect to physical
reality as everything within in vivo nervous systems is via global TD
E/I-minimization.

K. P. Collins

news:Cphoa.35702$cO3.2682247 at bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
| I'll Appreciate your discussion, Richard.
|
| "r norman" <rsnorman_ at _comcast.net> wrote in message
| news:gtv2av0l7fo5opblku4n3lbteof7f6pa2l at 4ax.com...
| | On 18 Apr 2003 20:26:19 -0700, y.k.y at lycos.com (yan king yin)
| wrote:
| |
| | >Inside the brain there are ubiquitous fluctuations of
| | >electric fields of magnitude ~100mV, due to nerve impulses.
| | >Most of the standard connectionist models of the brain
| | >do not take this effect into account. Is this some noise
| | >that can be ignored?
| | >
| | >I think one way to know the extent of the significance
| | >of this E field is to induce some random ~100mV E fields
| | >externally from the scalp, and see if they wreck the
| | >mind =)
| | >
| | >Can anyone point me to some references or facts...
| | >
| | >Thanks,
| | >YKY
| | >
| | >P.S. Personally I know of 2 instances. One is the
| | >"ephatic coupling" of parallel nerve fibers that tends
| | >to synchronize nerve impulses. Second is the effect of
| | >E fields on growth cone dynamics. Both of these theories
| | >are not very mainstream it seems.
| |
| | There are fields and there are fields.
| |
| | The 100 mV potentials you describe are specifically across the
| | cell membrane.  If you want to talk about electric fields, 100 mV
| | across a 100 A membrane (10 nm) gives a field strength of some
| | 10,000,000 V/m. It takes a pretty decent dielectric to hold up
| | against that!
| |
| | However, these potentials are in specific locations caused by
| | sources that have the proper impedance characteristics (channel
| | conductances) to produce the necessary current. Most of the
brain,
| or
| | any organ of the body for that matter, is salt water with a very
| high
| | conductance.  The electric fields in either the intracellular or
| the
| | extracellular spaces are very small.  It is very hard to induce
| | potentials in these media from externally applied fields because
of
| | the high conductance.
| |
| | It is, in fact, the high conductance of the extracellular medium
| that
| | makes ephatic interaction between nerve cells so ineffective.
Only