'Groundhog Day'

Mon Apr 21 14:30:16 EST 2003

news:X_yna.64899$ja4.4295951 at bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
| [...]
| There's an old movie, "Groundhog Day" that presents a light-hearted
| view into circumstances that are a little bit analogous to my own.
| The protagonist [played by Bill Murray] gets trapped in a 'time
warp'
| in which he awakens everyday to the day he had just lived [which
| happens to be the day, in American tradition, called "Groundhog
Day".
| The movie doesn't make clear how much 'time' actually transpires,
but
| it must be decades because of all that shows up in the guy's living
| [he learns to play the piano expertly, for instance, and gets a
| Medical Degree :-] All through interminable living of the one day.
| really like this movie because it's almost exactly what I've lived
in
| my own life - waking each day to live 'the same day' all over
again,
| interminably.
| [...]

I rented the movie the other night - have watched it 4 times [in the
'spirit of it's same-thing-over-and-over-again premise].

Here're some quotes from it that crack me up:

"That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get =that= day... over,
and over, and over?" ["Phil Connors", the character that Bill Murray
plays in the flick]

"What would you do if you were stuck in one place and every day was
the same, and nothing that you did mattered?" [ibid]

Other beer-drinking guy: "That about sums it up for me." [always
cracks me up :-]

"I'll give you a winter prediction. It's going to be cold. It's going
to be grey. And it's going to last you for the rest of your life."
["Phil Connors"]

"There's no way that this winter's ever going to end, as long as this
groundhog keeps seeing his shadow. He's gotta be stopped, and I have
to stop him." [ibid.]

The flick continues beyond what's been in my 'familiar' experience:

"I said stay, so you stayed? I can't even make a collie stay. I gotta
check something... stay... stay." [ibid]

"It was the end of a very long day." [ibid]

"Is there anything I can do for you today?" [ibid]

It's a take-off on "The Beauty and the Beast" - the 'spell' is broken
when "Phill Connors" learns to Love.

ken