Alzheimer's protein jams mitochondria of affected cells; resulting 'energy crisis' kills neurons

Kim kim at nopsamclara.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 02:13:03 EST 2003

Hi KP,
I would have to give my opinion on the cause of AD and I would say that it
has nothing to do with any transcription faults. All the proteins are all
ready present and working in healthy individuals, in people with AD one of
the proteins (APP) is simply processed another way, by another enzyme which
is already present (BACE) leading to the increased production of the toxic
peptide (ABP). The questions now are how does this peptide kill neurons,
which I would say involves calcium disruption through ABP pores and ROS
production (which arises from ABP interactions with the mitochondria), and
why is this harmful peptide produced in old age, which I would suggest was
due to cells adapting to the altered environment of the aged brain, with
particular attention to oxygen content.

Just my opinions,
Kim