Scientists believe Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease may have a common cause.

John H. johnh at faraway.xxx
Mon Apr 28 02:21:45 EST 2003

I did read sometime ago that tau phosphorylation is required for pathology
in AD, the idea that the amyloid plagues themselves are the causative agents
doesn't hold up to close scrutiny, more likely it is the resulting
inflammatory cascade that ensues post T phosphorylation that causes the real
problems. The tau issue is quite old now and I suspect that in both AD and
Parkinson's the upstream processes are more important.

Another example of news that is not news, something pointed out to me long
ago by Dag Stenberg. Thanks Dag, I've certainly learnt that lesson over the
last few years. What's more important for some scientists, a good pr dept or
good science? Oh well, one must get funding ... .

John H.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2969475.stm

Scientists believe Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease may have a common
cause.

Researchers in the United States have found tboth diseases may be triggered
by the same brain chemicals.

This could explain why some people with Alzheimer's show symptoms of
Parkinson's disease and vice versa.

But it could also mean drugs developed for one disease could help to fight
the other.